AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   2004 A8 Headlight (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/2004-a8-headlight-168967/)

gzilla22 05-15-2011 12:07 AM

2004 A8 Headlight

Is it possible to replace the low beam lights yourself?

If so, can someone point to a detailed procedure or at least describe the process?

Thanks.

silverd2 05-15-2011 10:34 AM

Assuming you have HID's (xenon, supposed to be standard on D3?), they didn't make it easy on D3's....much easier to get to on D2.

First, on xenon lights, it can just as likely be an igniter (coil in light socket) or a control unit (ballast/power output stage) failed as the bulb. All xenon lights have all 3 components. All are quite expensive, so you might want to have the bulb tested at an auto parts store or try it in the other side before replacing it.

I don't have a D3 to look at, but according to the manual you must first remove the wheel on that side, the fender liner and possibly the power steering reservoir or air box (depending on side) to gain access to the rear of the headlamp housing (none of this necessary on a D2).

- disconnect battery at negative post

- remove cover w/control module from rear of housing (square unit directly behind low beam)..remove locking bolt and retainer clips

- remove igniter from rear of lamp...turn counter clockwise to release

- remove clip that holds bulb in place...pull out

J.C. 07-24-2011 04:14 AM

I am doing this in the morning. Wish me luck. Does any one know the replacement bulb watt like 12000k or 10000k?

silverd2 07-24-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by J.C. (Post 1325286)
I am doing this in the morning. Wish me luck. Does any one know the replacement bulb watt like 12000k or 10000k?

OEM wattage for HID bulb (low beam) is 35 watts.

4300, 10000 or 12000K is the color temperature...the higher the temp, the bluer it looks.

Regular daylight is about 5300k (Kelvin)...nothing to do with brightness or wattage...just the light color as it appears on film or digital camera sensor.

OEM Audi HID is 4300K, which appears basically white....higher color temps get bluer and bluer.

J.C. 07-24-2011 12:19 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I just ordered them and they will be available for pickup at 2pm. The above was spot on. Although I have small hands and was able to remove and place back the headlights without jacking the car and removing the head lights. Its just a tight space.

A8D3Handyman 03-10-2017 12:01 PM

I know this is an old post but for anyone trying to replace or test any components of the headlight, please do not follow silverd2's post. Not sure what manual he was reading but you don't have to go through all that, it is much easier to remove the headlights then to go though all that. Nothing has to be removed, 4 torque screws, 2 behind the headlight and 2 on top. You're welcome

dave944 03-14-2017 02:58 PM

On the D2's just pop loose the covers on the back of the head light assembly, unplug the electrical connector to whichever light bulb, twist and remove the light bulb.. Just do NOT touch the glass on the new ones putting them in.