Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2004 A8 maintenance / issues thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

Depends on how you look at it if its a pos or not. If all that happened 100k and over no problem. But if those things happened with under 50k, just making room for even more "pos" problems.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Great 04 8AL

I have 85K on my car. Here is what I have done, most of it under the extended warranty that was on the car when I purchased it used at 20K. Brakes were done before I got the car, but done again at 60K with front rotors. Timing belt was done at 60K because the car was apart from another issue, under warranty. A small sensor or two and tires, tires, tires. I love the car and have been extremely happy so far. I hope my luck keeps up. The routine maintenence is a little steep, but since this is my first time luxury car, I have nothing to compare it to. The ride, look and thrill of driving this car, PRICELESS!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:52 PM
1st Gear
Question Buying an A8L 2004?

Good evening Folks and happy new year to you all.

I am a new comer. I am very close/about to buy an Audi A8L 2004 with 65K miles on it. It is exceptionally clean and nice, second owner wants to sell it as private party, priced @ 18.5K, agin very clean and nice! I Never owned an Audi before. Currently drive a BMW 530i 2001 and BMW 330ci 2001 Convertible. In order to buy this Audi I have to sell my BMW 530i, since it has been very reliable and good to me. In one hand I have very hard times selling my Bimmer in the other hand I feel getting this Audi is an upgrade in many aspects. The reviews online say lots of horrifying things about the reliability and repair costs of this car. Is this true? How bad is this problem? I don't mind spending some money to maintain this ultimate luxury car but don't want to spend 2/3 of the month @ dealer ship either! If you guys are so nice to give me your input and share your experience with the Audi A8 2004, I really appreciate that.
Thanks a lot,

A.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

I have not had any issues with mine so far. Then again if you look at the first post in this thread, I was lucky enough to have a previous owner that had performed all maintenance.

With 65K on the clock, the car you are looking to buy will soon be due for the timing belt/water pump replacement service, so you'll probably want to budget for that. As noted in my first post, the ignition coils went bad on mine between 90-95K and finally were all replaced at 95K by the previous owner - something you may want to keep in mind if you're budgeting for maintenance.

l8r)

Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 AM
1st Gear
Question Changing the air filter

Any body knows how to check/change the air filter? I am not sure if it was done in my car @ 60K maintanance!
By the way I finally sold my 530i 2001 BMW and bought the A8L with 66K miles on it. Except for a few electronic issues, so far so good. I would like to do things DIY like I did on my Bimmer.

Thanks,
A.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
1st Gear

Good thing is, the air filter change is extremely easy on it.
Looking at the engine bay:
1. Left hand side under its black casing, like a normal air filter is. Unscrew one or two screws, and move back the filter box.
2. Pull it out and check filter
3. Have a beer

Old 01-23-2010, 03:38 PM
1st Gear
Default A8L acceleration?

For about a month ago I treded my BMW 530i 2001 with a 2004 A8L. It seems to me that the BMW acceleration from stand still was by far better and more sporty than the A8, or is there some thing wrong with my car?!

The other question I have is about tires. What I have now are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus but the rear tires are more worn off than the front ones by at least 50% difference. What tire would you guys recommend for this car? By the way I live in Charlotte, NC and we have good bit of rain but hardly any snow.
Thanks for your help,
A.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:41 PM
1st Gear
Question Power Boot?!

Please tell me about the power Boot in your car. Is that the Super charger that you installed? If so, how much and how difficult was it? Where did you buy it from? Did you see nay difference in terms of sportiness of the ride?

Tnx
A.
Originally Posted by Brozee
Good thing is, the air filter change is extremely easy on it.
Looking at the engine bay:
1. Left hand side under its black casing, like a normal air filter is. Unscrew one or two screws, and move back the filter box.
2. Pull it out and check filter
3. Have a beer

Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by abarmard
It seems to me that the BMW acceleration from stand still was by far better and more sporty than the A8, or is there some thing wrong with my car?!
Keep in mind, the car you now have weighs a considerable amount MORE than a 5er. Of course, there COULD be something wrong with your new purchase.

Swap in a new air filter and run through a couple tanks w/gas-treatment, see if that helps. Maybe get someone with a VAG to run it for codes.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by abarmard
Please tell me about the power Boot in your car. Is that the Super charger that you installed? If so, how much and how difficult was it? Where did you buy it from? Did you see nay difference in terms of sportiness of the ride?

Tnx
A.
Lol sorry man. A power boot is another term for a power trunk. Boot is the english term for a trunk. And of course a midsize sedan will feel much more sporty than a two and a half ton boat or better yet the A8. The A8 is a large luxury sedan. I have never put any gas enhancers or cleaners in my fuel and the car's still pretty sporty to me. After all it's a V8.

Quick Reply: 2004 A8 maintenance / issues thread