Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2005 A8 ---"Hair trigger" Gas Pedal and "Hard steering"

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Exclamation 2005 A8 ---"Hair trigger" Gas Pedal and "Hard steering"

I have a 2005 A8 --- fantastic car ---but 2 possible issues or maybe just nature of the car. First, car is too fast from standing start -- that is gas pedal seems ultra sensitive. Really have to very gently depress to keep from jerking or leaping ahead. Even at speed of 40 or 50 , car leaps ahead unless pedal is depressed very softly. I assume pedal is electronic so perhaps there is some kind of adjustment or faulty module.
The other issue is heavy steering like a race car --- is this suspension or all wheel drive related. My other cars are SL500 and CL600 so they are my point of reference.
Tried seach without luck so if anyone has opinions or can point me to FAQ's, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Site Moderator

There isn't any way of diagnosing an advanced car like an A8 without fault codes. The gas pedal is electronic yes, but if it had a failure it should do the oposite and put you in limp mode. Limp mode basically only lets you use 3rd gear and severly decreases the amount of power the engine will produce. The common problem i have found with wierd accelleration had to do with the floor mats believe it or not. The floor mats tend to get jammed up behind the pedal so it causes more pressure to be applied to the pedal to get going and hence, the car leaps forward. Try taking out the floor mats and driving it again. If it still does it, we would need fault codes. If no fault codes are there, you are just realizing how powerful the A8 is i suppose.

As for hard steering, have you looking at the fluid level in the power steering resivior? Its a mineral based fluid and it evaporates over time so it needs to be topped off.

The third idea i have, which could explain both problems is the central electrics control module has gone out on you. Or possibly needs to be reflashed. When these have malfunctions it play all kinds of tricks on the engine management system, brake electronics, and sometimes mess with the steering control module. To find this out of course, we would need fault codes. There isn't much you can do by yourself at this point if you don't own a VAG COM www.ross-tech.com If you don't want to invest the money in a vag com pay the dealer $100 or so to check it all out for you.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Thumbs up 2005 A8 ---"Hair trigger" Gas Pedal and "Hard steering"

Thanks for the reply and remote diagnosis. I'll try you're suggestions and take it to the dealer to check out fault codes. I have to take it in anyway to check out "check navigation disk" msg even tho disk is installed and clean. I have neighbors both next door and across the street with A8L's so I'll drive one of theirs and have them drive mine to see if my symptons may be normal.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Site Moderator

Not a bad idea, you must live in a bad *** neighborhood if that many A8's are floating around..