AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   2005 Audi A8 trottle getting stuck at full (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/2005-audi-a8-trottle-getting-stuck-full-20855/)

nynexit 12-04-2005 07:29 PM

2005 Audi A8 trottle getting stuck at full

Hi, I have a 2005 Audi A8 with less than 3000 miles on it. I put my foot to the floor, and when i let off it just got stuck I don’t know if it got stuck to the floor, or something went wrong with the electronic throttle. This has happen twice to me, the first time I thought it was the floor mat. Has anybody ever had this problem?

techbod 12-04-2005 07:40 PM

RE: 2005 Audi A8 trottle getting stuck at full

I would take a trip to the dealer because this could be dangerous and might be a recall issue but will be covered under warranty I'm sure

Sean P 12-04-2005 07:40 PM

There are a TON of 04/05 A8 owners at the Edmunds.com A8 board complaining about that. One guy said his wife got traumatized by it's sitting at the dealership and he refuses to take possession of the car until Audi figures it out.

Audi has had many complaints but refuses to concede that there's a problem.

HansBlix 12-05-2005 02:40 AM

Hmm, this is strangely reminiscent of, though unrelated to, the "unintended acceleration" debacle of the 1980s. In fact, that scandal is why it took Audi 3 years to work up the courage to bring the previous generation A8 to the states.

For those who are interested, the situation back then was that the brake pedal was placed too close to the gas pedal (which was not the case in many American cars of the era), and a number of drivers who were used to the wide placing of the pedals pressed both pedals when trying to brake.

nynexit 12-12-2005 02:54 AM

Hey guys, it turned out it was the floor mat, bought a fairly heavy winter floor mat. Audi said it was the mat, and i changed the mat, and havent had the problem again. Glad it was not a problem with the car.

98 A4 Turbo 12-17-2005 06:34 PM

I cant believe no ones asked this but.... what did u do wen the car was stuck wide open??

AudiTech04 12-17-2005 08:46 PM

If you press the brake when you already have the gas pedal depressed it will cut the throttle

But does not work the other way

nynexit 12-18-2005 07:45 PM

First stomped on the gas pedal to try to get it free, that did'nt work. Than just put it in neutral, and turned the engine off so it would'nt over rev. And was lucky enough that was not in heavy traffic each time.

chappy 04-04-2006 02:57 AM

I have had this problem several times with my 2004 A8. We take our foot off the gas and the car continues to accelerate. The dealership could not replicate the problem and indicated that it was probably caused by the floor mat, but in each case the floor mat was affixed to the floor.

AWDaholic 04-08-2006 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: HansBlix

For those who are interested, the situation back then was that the brake pedal was placed too close to the gas pedal (which was not the case in many American cars of the era), and a number of drivers who were used to the wide placing of the pedals pressed both pedals when trying to brake.

For the longest time Audi's were undervalued in teh American market because of that, too. Some would (correctly?) say that they've only JUST recently overcome THAT undervaluation, too. Which it had lasted a couple years longer. I wudda LOVED to have gotten my grubby mits on a S8 for A4 prices...:eek: