Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2005 Radiator Replacement Procedures?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
1st Gear
Default 2005 Radiator Replacement Procedures?

Does anyone have the replacement procedures for an 05? I was getting ready to change my plugs and notice what I thought was some water under the chin spoiler of the car. After removal of the lower plastic pan from the car I noticed the passenger side lower side of the radiator where the hose connects is wet. You can see it's crusty and may have been leaking for a little while. So, since I'm the person that doesn't leave things to get worse, I want to just replace the radiator since it's only a few hundred dollars. I will be doing the work myself and since this car is new to me I was hoping someone can give me some tips.

Here are my questions:

1) It looks like a speacial torx bit is required to remove the core support to get the radiator out, can someone confirm if this is true?

2) The hoses that are connected to the radiator look like they were put on with a speacial tool from the factory. Not your typical worm clamps. Can anyone shed some light on if they get replaced with worm clamps or if you need a special tool to replace these with the radiator?

3) After further inspection, it looks like the whole front clip needs to be removed from the car. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear

I don't have answers for you, but I would first inspect the hoses. Much easier to replace than the radiator.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

Hoses unfortunatley aren't my issue. Radiator has the leak at the bottom where the bottom hose connects. It looks like it's been leaking for awhile.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

Don't think you're gonna find an online tutorial for this job. I have no info on D3 models and all work I do on my D2 starts and is double checked with my Bentley manual. Anyone planning to do any involved work on their car, needs the proper manual as the most important item in their tool box:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/aud...009-ebahn.html

Worth every penny...even if just to educate yourself before seeing a mechanic.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Already making the order. I agree, having the manual is key on this job.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

The A8 radiator hoses that came on the car are a pain in the A....if you go to the dealer to get a new radiator they will sell you the new hoses that goes with it which uses a quick disconnect hose that snaps to the radiator. They cost around $90 each. As far as replacing the radiator it does seem that hard if you have the tools and time.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Well I have the manual, new radiator and coolant, the questions is:

In order to refill the system is the pressure adapter that connects to the resevoir neccasary to complete the job? Or, can you just fill the system like most other cars?

Not sure if most mechanics carry this type of pressure system or if this is something only the Audi dealer would carry.

Last question, if you replace the radiator hoses, do you have to use the type of clamps that need a set of special pliers to crimp them, or can you use worm clamps?

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by WNTITAL
Well I have the manual, new radiator and coolant, the questions is:

In order to refill the system is the pressure adapter that connects to the resevoir neccasary to complete the job? Or, can you just fill the system like most other cars?

Not sure if most mechanics carry this type of pressure system or if this is something only the Audi dealer would carry.

Last question, if you replace the radiator hoses, do you have to use the type of clamps that need a set of special pliers to crimp them, or can you use worm clamps?

Thanks for the help.
You can easily refill the coolant the old fashioned way...plus opening the bleeder valves on the heater hoses while doing so...just recheck later after a good warm up and drive...just like most cars...the way I've done, without a problem on D2. D3 is similar and has the same bleeder valve screws on the heater hoses.

Any type clamps that fit hoses will suffice...the fittings themselves have the lip that makes sealing pretty easy...no need to tighten excessively.

Last edited by silverd2; 03-31-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

I just replaced my radiator yesterday. Refilling it wasnt hard at all i did it the old fashion way just turn the car on fill it and watch it until its full. It ended up taking 4.5 L plus the same amount of distilled water. I didnt mess with the bleeder screw at all and its running fine no leaks or over heating.

If you get the new hoses from the dealer they will come with all the necessary clamps you need which does not require a special pliers. The way the clip is set up all you need its like fla head screw driver to push it to release it.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help. I'm glad to know that the filling doesn't require any speacial tools. I guess my weekend will be busy.

Quick Reply: 2005 Radiator Replacement Procedures?