Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2006 A8 center console MMI removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 PM
1st Gear
Default 2006 A8 center console MMI removal

Hello; can anyone help? I need to remove the center console MMI keypad unit - stickling keys - someone spilled coffee over it - it needs cleaned?
Anyone have info how to remove - clean - any experience? Pictures - ideas-
Any link on the net showing how to do this – anyone have A8 Bentley repair images - data? The MMI seems to get stuck – will not turn on when off – will not turn off when on – or respond to any input? When it works it works perfectly – not weather related? If you spray with compressed air it sometimes works? Very strange – and frustrating – an absolutely stupid design – the placement of cup holders so near the MMI interface? Audi engineering my A**!

Attached Thumbnails 2006 A8 center console MMI removal-pp_07a8l_g6_console.jpg  
Old 12-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Site Moderator

The germans usually don't have drinks in their cars when doing 100mph on the autobahn, they actually hate designing any cup holders at all, it was a design addition to accomodate our lazy fat asses.
Anywho the MMI unit is actually very easy to remove, however the entire wood trim with all the switches has to come out so you can unbolt it from underneath.
Pull up on the cup holders and take out those screws, pull out the ash tray and remove those screws, remove the two screws holding in the A/C control head, then you should be able to pull the entire unit out from the top back towards you. Disconnect the connectors and clean it best you can.

I should warn you though (you won't like this) the buttons where its sticking IS NOT REPLACEABLE by itself, you need to buy the entire MMI button set, and it is NOT CHEAP. So hopefully you can get it working again, but it may require replacement.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 AM
2nd Gear
Old 12-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Site Moderator

^^^Thats a good DIY, but to the OP you don't need to remove the back A/C control head, as in step 1 and 2. You just need to remove the panel around the shifter like in step 3 and 4.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:32 AM
2nd Gear

Yep, it was the only DIY link I could find.

Merry Christmas Nate! Hope all is well with you.

Sam

Old 12-25-2010, 12:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks a million!

THANKS A MILLION!
Silverd2 and Auditech79!
Saved my rear!
Thanks for the DIY and the info feedback - I guess the "keypad" does not come out without removing the surrounding wood trim panel?
Now I can fix the wife's car!
The key pad just needs cleaning - I hope! I can get for $635.00 on Ebay - new, but does the system need to be programmed after the keypad is removed?
Would you guys also have a DIY picture of how to remove the driver’s inner door panel? I know there is a screw or two and the clips around the perimeter but?
I need to replace the speaker grille, and the door release handle/switch unit.
Mary Christmas and happy New Year!

Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear

Only DIY I see is for D2 : http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl.../doortrim.html
Don't know if it's similar.
Not as much DIY posted yet for D3's.

Don't ever mind answering questions, if I have the answers, but always recommend a manual for anyone doing any of the work themselves...or just to educate themselves, before being taken by dishonest or unqualified mechanics: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/aud...009-ebahn.html

Don't know about MMI recoding...don't have on D2's.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Site Moderator

I would be the ultimate D3 DIY poster!......If i owned one

The switch pack is the only thing in the MMI system that doesn't need to be coded from what i can remember.

As for the door panel its very similar to the D2 except there aren't two screws at the top of the panel. You still need to remove the wood trim at the top of the door (silver trim attached), remove those gold screws, then pull down the lower compartment open, there should be a hole or two burried way back there with some screws in there, and i think there is one at the bottom of the door panel. From what i can remember you don't need to remove the handle or master window switch.
This part of the process is different than the D2 though, once all those bolts are out there are a bunch of clips that almost ALWAYS break when you remove the panel, grab the panel from the bottom and quickly pull out. The bottom clips should break loose, if not break off. This will let you see under the panel if you missed any bolts. Don't worry about the clips, the dealer carries those by the ton and they aren't expensive.