AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   2006 A8 Trunk Lid Problems (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/2006-a8-trunk-lid-problems-142619/)

drwoods 12-05-2009 05:27 PM

2006 A8 Trunk Lid Problems

The trunk lid on my 2006 A8 will not close completely. The actuator will not pull the lid shut all the way thus it shows as open on my intrument cluster. can anyone tell me if this problem can be fixed easily?

auditech79 12-05-2009 10:31 PM

There are two motors for the trunk lid, the actual opening/closing motor, and the pull down motor which pulls it down flush to the body. It sounds like the pull down motor is the problem, the cable to the bottom latch often breaks, fixing that requires replacing the entire motor assembly ($300 give or take)

Brozee 12-06-2009 01:45 AM

Damn that sucks! I have had I believe the same problem. One time my trunk went to close and would go what looks to be flush then open right back up again and not close properly. So I got pretty upset and when it went down I pushed down and popped it into place. Since then I haven't had a problem. I really don't like the power trunk only because I can just see me having a problem this winter with the trunk being cold or having ice on it and not opening properly. Auditech know if this would happen?

auditech79 12-06-2009 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Brozee (Post 1154748)
Damn that sucks! I have had I believe the same problem. One time my trunk went to close and would go what looks to be flush then open right back up again and not close properly. So I got pretty upset and when it went down I pushed down and popped it into place. Since then I haven't had a problem. I really don't like the power trunk only because I can just see me having a problem this winter with the trunk being cold or having ice on it and not opening properly. Auditech know if this would happen?

No, there is a TSB (technical service bulletin) repair for that. If the lid wants to open back up on its own it either needs new trunk hinges, and or a new motor. On the TSB it wil state which motor is the updated one, the dealer usually marks on the side of the motor with a piece of white out (or green) if it has been changed, you can only see that by removing the motor (PITA!) As for the hinges, the 04-05 model has steel hinge pins which are magnetic, the updated ones are aluminum, so to test for that put a magnet on the pin (part where it rotates on) and see if the magnet sticks, if it does, you need new hinges.

Brozee 12-07-2009 01:21 AM

So your saying if the magnet sticks I need a new motor? Even if it isn't broken or? And I'm guessing I'd have to pay out of pocket if I ever wanted it replaced.

auditech79 12-07-2009 05:43 PM

If the magnet sticks to the trunk hinge pins you need new hinges, the motor is up to the serial number on the side of it, if you can get your hands on that TSB you can see what it is. I can guarantee you one (or both) of those are the problem, and yes it would be out of pocket. Only recalls audi pays for.

T-Roc 12-08-2009 02:31 PM

Currently having the SAME problem with my 05 A8!! Trunk lid will not stay closed, it doesn't happen all the time but most of the time.

Brozee 12-08-2009 07:22 PM

I had the problem only once, but when it went down I just pushed it shut and haven't had the problem again. Anyone know how the power trunk is in the winter? I'm just scared that unless the cars completely heated and has no snow on the trunk it will not work? Or does the trunk fair pretty well in the winter conditions with snow etc on the trunk, as long as its not iced shut?

Brozee 12-08-2009 07:23 PM

And does anyone know if the power headlight washer jets won't pop out in certain temperatures? I just don't want to have to clear my windshield and end up breaking the washer jets because there may be a lot of snow on the front of my car etc.

auditech79 12-08-2009 11:22 PM

I wouldn't let the trunk do it all by itself if its frozen over, especially if there is a lot of snow on there. I would give it a helping hand all the way up until the spring time. As for the headlight washers, they should work under all temperatures, however plastic becomes brittle in cold temperatures, which could result in a busted headlight washer under pressure.