Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2010 A8L suspension clarification

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 10:34 PM
1st Gear
Default 2010 A8L suspension clarification

Greetings all. I am awaiting the delivery of a 2010 A8L to a shop for the PPI. In the meantime, I'm researching and yes, I've used the search function.

I've avoided cars with airbag suspensions I decided to take the plunge due to my limited understanding of the problem... the gentleman who currently owns the car had a $5K repair to the suspension - rear strut/bag and compressor as I understand it.

My shallow and perhaps false assumption was "Great, it already had the big problem" until I reflected more on why the compressor fails, i.e. leaks.

Use of the search function here has led me to believe that the reality is more like any corner can fail, and when one does, it is up to $6k???

I've been driving out of warranty MB, BMW and Volvos for the past 350K miles. With that said, knock on wood, I've always followed the maintenance schedules and never had a repair like that hit me.

So -

1) Am I correct in my belief that the repair just means there is a new compressor and one good corner, but that 75% of the system is still 8 years old and may develop a $5K-ish leak?

2) Obviously the 2010 can fail since it just did, but are they any better or worse than other years?

Many thanks, hope to join the family soon.

Best -

Paul

Old 06-07-2018, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

The prices the previous owner paid are rediculous.
A rebuilt strut is about $300-500 and a compressor the same again..