Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2012 - confused about 3-point vs 4-point steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:22 PM
1st Gear
Default 2012 - confused about 3-point vs 4-point steering wheels

I am a long time Audi A8 owner but a new member.

Wife totaled A8 by running into a deer. In the market for a 2012 version (A8, not A8L this time).

Found one car in CT with following packages: Sport, Driver Assist, Convenience, Cold + a few odds and ends.

Found another car in CA with the same options + rear seat console (4-zone temperature control). Color is more interesting and mileage is lower (you can search Conti in Burlingame for photos).

All the 2012 I have tried have the 4-point multifunction steering wheel.

The car in CA has a 3-point multifunction steering wheel! The air bag cover is round instead of oval.

Everything I look for online says that the steering wheel should be 4-point if it has the driver assist. In fact, I can't find a single picture of a 3-point steering wheel other than in cars sold in Europe (driver assist or not). CORRECTION - I found another A8 at a dealer with the same steering wheel and the sales person sold me it DOES NOT have the Driver Assistance Package.

What am I missing? Was there a mid-year change in 2012 that temporarily phased out the 4-point? Something does not seem right and I would like to know before I send my wife to CA for a test drive.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

Last edited by fredct; 06-07-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-13-2015, 07:25 AM
1st Gear

That's a long way to go for a test drive, no? I would think there were plenty of solid pre-owned gently cared for cars here in CT, NY or Mass. To answer your question on the 4 spoke wheel, personally I never trust what a salesman is saying. Usually whenever their mouths open is to fabricate another tale. You've done your research, stick with your gut on this one.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

Greybeast,

You are right on all points. I was able to confirm with the dealer in CA that the 3-point steering wheel indeed precluded the driver assist function.

On your other point, I did find a car in our town competitively priced and we ended up buying that one (A8 2012 CPO).

On your implied point: there are comparatively few A8 compared to the A8L. Most Audi dealers have none. I counted about 20 available in the entire USA 2 weeks ago compared to over 200 A8L. Once you look for a few options (such as driver assist or Sport), the number dwindles to 2-3. In the end, my wife had to compromise on color. We ended up black on black instead of white on sand.

Tried car for first time last night (I was away to Asia). What a beast! A lot of electronics to figure out. Even programming the Homelink had me stumped! My wife is very happy and that's all that matters in the end though.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:43 AM
1st Gear

Congrats on the purchase! Happy wife, happy life....as they say.
I gave my wife her first ride in my A8L last evening and she enjoyed it, especially being able to stretch her long legs all the way out and turn on massage. That vehicle is quite amazing. So quiet and solid on I-84. I brought it up to 110 mph (radar detector on) and it felt like 55. I have a feeling she'll be taking my Audi and leaving her Benz in our garage quite often.

Last edited by Greybeast; 06-15-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

Greybeast,

Thanks for that. Got Homelink working on both doors and got snow tires (from Ebay). I drive Benz but I may borrow Audi once in a while!