AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   A8 Rear Rotors (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/a8-rear-rotors-149986/)

bshouler 05-03-2010 10:31 PM

A8 Rear Rotors

Hello Everyone,
I'm attempting to replace the rear rotors and pads on my 1999 A8. I have the parts from Autozone, and got the caliper off. But wait. The rotor seems to be held on by a spindle nut? I heard that this is a non-reusable part, and needs to be replaced as well. Does anyone know what size it is? It is a hex nut, and thats all I can tell you. Also, do i have to get it from Audi(Autozone didn't have it in there system)?

Thank you for any help you can give.

AWDaholic 05-05-2010 04:36 PM

It's been quite a while since I replaced my rear rotors, but, I do not recall any issues with a spindle nut being non-reusable. But, I dint get my parts from the 'Zone, either. Ordered online from Blauparts.com, I think it was, but I cud be wrong. It's been a while and I'm old.

auditech79 05-05-2010 07:25 PM

They aren't held on by a spindle bolt, its just rusted to the spindle. Get a big ass hammer and give it a few wacks and it should fall off.
Just look at your new rotors, if the hole in the center of the rotor is bigger than the spindle bolt you know there is no way its holding it on there.

bshouler 05-05-2010 10:24 PM

Thank you, I'll try the hammer. The new rotors look as though they would not be held on by the spindle nut. Guess I was just gun shy about banging on it. Will give it a go and report my progress this weekend. Thanks again!

auditech79 05-05-2010 11:56 PM

Well do you actually need new rotors? Once you wack on them it will mess them up, i only said that because i thought you already bought new ones. If the rotors look fine and you haven't bought new rotors just scuff up the surface of the old rotor and install the new pads. Rear rotors hardly ever get warped on audis, but the front ones do quite often.

bshouler 05-06-2010 05:13 PM

I assumed i needed new ones. The current rotors aren't warped, but they are worn. There is quite a ridge along the outter edge. I just had new tires put on and the shop said the pads were super thin(they are) and they quoted me $350 for pads and rotors. I just bought the stuff myself for around $150 and wanted to give it a try. I didn't measure the thickness of the old rotors...just took the shops word for it.

AWDaholic 05-07-2010 02:28 PM

If its got a pronounced outer "ridge," you're prolly right to replace the rotors.

bshouler 05-14-2010 02:26 PM

Thanks again for your input. I changed the brakes and rotors last weekend with no problems. The rotors are not held on by the spindle nut(which btw, is what the audi service center employee led me to believe...thanks so much for his help). They were just rusted as you mentioned. Several taps(by taps i mean swings) with the hammer and they fell right off.

Anyhow, the brakes and rotors are good to go all the way around now.

Thank you,
Brent

Bonz 06-02-2010 01:28 PM

How difficult was this

Just acquired a 2004 and needs rear brakes, I was told. was the change out very difficult and any special tools. local place wants $520

auditech79 06-03-2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bonz (Post 1211953)
Just acquired a 2004 and needs rear brakes, I was told. was the change out very difficult and any special tools. local place wants $520

BLAAAH, start your own thread noob!

The D3 chassis (04-current) has an electronic E brake that must be released via a scan tool like a vag com. Its not difficult if you have the vag com software www.ross-tech.com, you just have to click a button on the scanner and you will hear the E-brake retract. You also have to tell the scanner how thick the new pad is, otherwise it will cause the brakes to drag and wear out the pads in a hurry.