Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Another Transmission Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by EyesofThunder
Is Audi still on the lifetime trans fill recommendation or are they back to servicing at specified mileage?

On D2's they were still calling it lifetime fill...not sure about later D3's or current D4's(?). There are volumes of discussion on this subject all over this and other Audi forums. Opinions are all over the map...as much controversy as religion. Statistics often show totally unserviced tran's lasting just as long as 30K mile serviced ones...no clear answer.
I believe that at the very least, the filter should be replace at some point...and some even believe (and there IS some logic in it), pumping the old atf back in after the filter change, so as not to "complicate" things in a high mileage trans, with detergents in new atf.
Search all the forums for MUCH, MUCH more on this subject.

Is there a dipstick that can be added? Say from same trans/different application ?

Never heard of it, no.

Is this trans specific to the A8 or is it common across other platforms?
The trans is a ZF 5HP24, used on many Audi's and on other (mostly German and I think other Euro) cars....just different internal improvements as time went by, and different differentials attached (front and center diffs).

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...ars/5HP24A.pdf

Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

Sea Foam the transmission (if you don't find an excess of debris in the pan) when you do a service. This could be something as simple as a stuck valve body. Don''t forget to R/R the filter too and DO NOT flush. I've had very good luck with Allison Synthetic Spec fluid BTW. If you have not done a transmission service.. now would be a good time.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:50 PM
1st Gear
Default time

it is a great time to dump that car and move on.
obviously you had and still have no idea what you get into, this is not the kind of car your buddy mechanic will fix in your driveway with parts from your local store.
just my opinion.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by s4master1
it is a great time to dump that car and move on.
obviously you had and still have no idea what you get into, this is not the kind of car your buddy mechanic will fix in your driveway with parts from your local store.
just my opinion.
considering that I pulled his car out of a scape yard for $500 and it is now my daily driver fully functional. The last offer I had was $6000 for the car...I think the Audi and I have done all right...but thanks for constructive input...btw...since changing the $1.15 fuse the transmission runs great...

Old 11-15-2011, 12:51 AM
1st Gear
Default constructive input

Excuse my ignorance, but one would assume before writing such a long thread and taking pictures plus taking it to a mechanic he/she would at least check the very basic like power supply (fuses).
on the computer scan you notice that the transmission control unit should be right after the ECM before the ABS unit, which is not.
this give you the idea that water has gone inside the car.
if you find a car for so little money and all it needed was a fuse you are very lucky.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 207
considering that I pulled his car out of a scape yard for $500 and it is now my daily driver fully functional. The last offer I had was $6000 for the car...I think the Audi and I have done all right...but thanks for constructive input...btw...since changing the $1.15 fuse the transmission runs great...
What fuse did it end up being?

I am experiencing a very similar issue, without getting way into it, I have a feeling it is something electrical as well.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by spyder2020
What fuse did it end up being?

I am experiencing a very similar issue, without getting way into it, I have a feeling it is something electrical as well.
it was the fuse for the data com o the sun visor....#31

Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM
1st Gear
Default Torque Convertor

so what brand is a good torque convertor to buy ? Where to buy ?
do torque convertors for A8 vary for different years ? are some years better than others ? my cars are 1998 & 1999 A8. Is the convertor common to other models ?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Converters

Purchased at a time of rebuild or whatever are usually of the rebuilt verity.
In light of your typically stock A8, I would suggest you stick with that "stock" configuration. Most any of the major converter rebuilders will be a positive source for a rebuilt converter.

Servicing the transmission is the best way to insure you get maximum life from the unit. Scrimping on service is not positive for anything.

I have been know to drag race on occasion (not my A8 BTW) and have a service schedule that has gotten me to the end of a season (several actually). I use Allison Spec fluid from AmsOil and add 1 qt. of KZ33.
This mix is also in my A8 and seems to work well. The Audi shifts firmly and the pan stays clean and gets serviced semi-annually (whatever the milage).

Converters take a great deal of abuse in a Hot Rod and I use to change converters several times a year before I started using this combination.
Now I service the transmission at mid-season (never flush). Only replace the filter, add the mix, check for debris, verify line pressure and hang-on.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Can you give me the name of a good, trustworthy transmission mechanic in the Chicago metro area? My trans died today in my 2000 A8. I was 35 miles into a 200 mile trip. I came to a red light where I was going to turn right. Just before I came to a stop, the light turned green. As soon as I pressed the gas pedal, there was a loud bang and the car was jolted. All of the gears in the PRND4321 display lit up.

The car did not start to accelerate until the engine revs were 2k-3k rpm. Then, it started to move forward, but at a very slow pace. Once It reached about 30 mph, it started to accelerate quicker. It never shifted.

I got it to 60 mph and the revs held at 2k rpm. I think the trans was stuck in 5th gear. That must be its “limp home” mode.

I turned around and drove it 35 miles back home…in limp mode all the way. Every STOP sign was an adventure. The people behind me were not pleased that I accelerated so slowly.

Based on all the replies in this thread, I’m guessing my trans needs to be rebuilt.
So, I’m serious. Do you know of a good trans mechanic in the Chicago area? If not, can you refer me to someone who might?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Another Transmission Issue...