Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Anyone with an A8 D2 with dashboard engine oil level indication?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Anyone with an A8 D2 with dashboard engine oil level indication?

Hi all!

I need the help of someone with an A8 D2 facelift model (MY99+ in Europe, MY00+ in the US) where the A8 has the option to check the engine oil level via the board computer display in the instrument cluster. With the A8 D2 facelift, Audi introduced an engine oil level sensor, which, aside from providing data for the flexible service intervals, can be used to check the engine oil level via the onboard computer. Unfortunately, for some reason Audi has disabled this function for most cars on many markets. But apparently there are A8s out there where this functionality is enabled.

Just to be clear:
I am *not* talking about the low oil level warning or the warning for low oil pressure! I'm talking about a facility to display the engine oil level (shows a small oil can and a bar representing the current engine oil level on the color display in the instrument cluster). On cars where it is enabled it can be called by going into the board computer menu (via the control unit in the center console behind the transmission lever), going to 'CHECK' and then 'OIL LEVEL'. On cars where this functionality is disabled 'OIL LEVEL' isn't there, just 'SERVICE' and (if tire pressure control is installed) 'TIRE PRESSURE'.

I am now looking for a way to re-enable this functionality, which very likely will sit inside the instrument cluster. Unfortunately, the Audi service manuals don't provide any useful information, as the engine oil level check facility isn't even mentioned there (it is however mentioned in the German operating manual of my A8, in the German Audi A8 catalogues and also in the Audi SSP 217 page 14). What I try to find out is how the instrument cluster can be configured to enable engine oil checking, and for this I need the help of the community.

What I need:
What I now need is someone who owns or has access to an A8 D2 FL on which the engine oil level check does work, and who would be able to do a read-out (i.e with VAG-Com/VCDS, VAG1551/1553 or the VAS workshop computers) of the instrument cluster part number, it's Coding and all the Adaption channels, and then provide me with the data. No parameters on the car will be changed, and no car-specific or owner-specific information will be required.

With this data and some testing on my part I may finally be able to find out how the engine oil level check functionality can be re-enabled.

Thanks,

Jockl

Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM
1st Gear

My understanding is this is only available on later years where there is no oil dipstick.

However, I've been wrong before, so please speak up folks if this is not the case.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jakematic
My understanding is this is only available on later years where there is no oil dipstick.

However, I've been wrong before, so please speak up folks if this is not the case.
I'm sorry but you're most certainly wrong (this functionality is listed in my owner's manual, in the A8 D2 facelift catalogues, and also in SSP 217 on page 14, and I have seen postings by someone who's A8 D2 had this functionality enabled in another forum but couldn't contact him), the capability does definitely exist in the later A8 D2. It's just that only with the successor (4E) that this functionality was generally available (apparently has been disabled in the D2 for liability or reliability reasons).

Last edited by Jockl; 03-21-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

It's not available on any D3 I've every seen, including my 2005, but might be on the W12 or S versions.
At least in the US versions that is.

If all the sensors and displays are there it should be a matter of turning it on with VCDS (VAG-COM).

I would ask on the VAG-COM Yahoo group or in one of the VCDS forums.
Or you could email Ross-Tech directly.

Also may want to ask here A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion - AudiWorld Forums