AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Audi 2001 A8 L - Intermittent vibration while accelareting (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/audi-2001-a8-l-intermittent-vibration-while-accelareting-126882/)

Batya 03-06-2009 01:28 AM

Audi 2001 A8 L - Intermittent vibration while accelareting

Audi 2001 A8 L, car intermittently vibrates only when accelerated. All four wheels were balanced twice recently. Also recently replaced both front (left and right) axles, front brake rotors and pads.

auditech79 03-06-2009 09:45 PM

Do you have aftermarket wheels? If so, did you have the hubcentric rings installed with them?

Batya 03-09-2009 02:33 PM

Thanks for your response. I just got this car about 6 month ago from auction. Frankly, I'm not sure whether it has hubcentric rings or not. I'll check with my mechanic. All four rims are original, not bended. Though, one tire (out of 4) is from different manufacture (!). Vibration appears only under acceleration (at ~50-60 mi/h and above) and especially when driving uphill or downhill. It looks like vibration feels more on the passenger side (both front and back) and it seems to come from under the carriage.

Once again I really appreciate your help!

auditech79 03-09-2009 10:47 PM

You won't need hubscentric rings if they are the original wheels, although the fact that one of the four wheels aren't original makes me wonder.....
I would have all four wheels put on a balancer, if they are all good, then have the tech put the wheels back on the car and have him drive it up to speed (ESP off) while on the rack and see which wheel is causing the problem.

CrazyEights 03-10-2009 02:28 PM

you could be missing wheel balancers or weights on one of the wheels... just an idea... my stock forged fat fives have weights throughout the inner wheel lip.

Batya 03-11-2009 11:02 AM

Guys, thank you very much for all your help. My next step is to replace all four tires. I’ll let you know if it resolved the issue.

gpoc 03-14-2009 01:50 PM

Im thinking intermittent while accelerating points more to cv joints not tires/wheels. Check all the rubber under the car for leaks etc.

Batya 03-19-2009 10:15 AM

Installed four new Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. Car runs much smoother, but vibration still occasionally occurs :confused: It is less, but it exists. I recall my mechanic mentioning that one of my front upper control arms had damaged rubber. Could this cause such vibration?

Guys, I really appreciate all suggestions.

auditech79 03-19-2009 02:50 PM

No it can only be caused by a rotating mass. Have the mechanic take off your wheels and measure the out of rounds on your brake rotors. Do you feel any vibration when applying the brakes also?

Batya 03-20-2009 01:04 AM

No, I don't feel any vibration when applying the brakes. It only happens when I accelerate.