Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Audi A8 don't start

Old 09-11-2014, 08:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A8 don't start

I have a folowing problem with A8 4E8 2004,BSB motor.When I put the ignition key in the lock,I can't give a contact and can't pull it out.The car is like dead.I tried to make diagnostic with VCDS,but there was almost no response from the control modules(only two transmited information).
Furthermore the flushers are flushing rapidly for 5 minutes evry time I open the dore or the trunk.The owner says the car was flooded and then someone tried to fix it.I would like to know what caused these problems and is there a connection between them?

Old 09-11-2014, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

The car was flooded - that's what caused it.
Even an open sunroof, HVAC drains, or sunroof drains can cause enough water incursion to destroy or disable the modules under the carpet.
The other 20+ modules are easily destroyed by water too.

Define "tried to fix it" please... that sounds like someone didn't know what they were doing and gave up due to lack of knowledge or cost.
I strongly recommend getting a factory repair manual - you will need it at this juncture.

The flashing lights are the alarm being set off - a lower level function that is almost always active.

Insert a paperclip or pin in the hole under the key to remove it.
My guesstimate is this is going to be a very very expensive problem to fix properly.

Post up the AutoScan you have and we'll take a look.
I hope the vehicle came inexpensively to you - as in less than $1,000 USD.
Worst case you're looking at $8-10k to fix it, but we can hope it is less.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the information. I do not know what to do with this car and how much will come out repairs. The owner is one of those tight car dealers who lie a lot. I'll try to fix it and if there are problems I will ask.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by civitanove
thanks for the information. I do not know what to do with this car and how much will come out repairs. The owner is one of those tight car dealers who lie a lot. I'll try to fix it and if there are problems I will ask.
Ouch, sounds like you are the middle on this one.

I'd take all the modules out and let them dry thoroughly.
Then one by one you'll have to either repair or replace them, and any supporting things, until the vehicle comes back to life.
It could be a big job and big money... hard to tell at this point.

There are threads here, on quattroworld, and AudiWorld you might want to look at - search for 'flood' or 'flooded'

Be glad to help in any way I can.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

From my experience, after a car has been under water it's pretty much done for. The newer it is and the more computer operated things it has the worse it gets. I mean, it can be fixed but at what cost? An A8 could get into the many thousands of dollars. If it was salt water flooding, that would be 10 times worse. Even if you do manage to get it going again, more problems will show up months or years later. Sorry to be the Grinch.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

I found the problem. This is a Access/start control module J518 beneath the driver's seat. I will try to repair it.