Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Bit off more than I could chew and now need serious help. Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 01:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Bit off more than I could chew and now need serious help. Please

So I'm new on this forum and I'm in need of serious help. Here goes.

I'm familiar with cars and do a few big projects here and there. And my friend who has a 98 audi a8 asks me to change a few things one including timing belt. So i think to myself no biggie and take it on. Only to find out audits don't believe in timing marks. great.
I make my own alight the crank with the harmonic balancer marks and make two on the cams.
Put everything back together, make sure there's no contact by spinning the crank a few revolutions and go to start it and it doesn't want to go. The nose is still off so I wanted to know if there is anything that must be plugged in order for it to start.
And only after I change the belt I realize the car has been sitting for a year and I didn't start it before. Even better.

I've tried turning the crank 360 while keeping the cams stationary and starting it again. Nothing. It cranks but no fire. There's fuel I can smell it from the exhaust.

I've pulled the cam position sensor/cover to make sure that they are in the same place as the holders that are sold on ebay/dealer and they are. I don't want to dish out 200 bucks just for this.

Pretty much my question is; is there a method I can use to rule out that it's not a timing issue and look for a possible start issue. Cuz it'll kill me if I'm here messing with timing when it's like a faulty ecu or crank position sensor.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

I towed the car to my house because of dead battery and expired registration and just started working on it. I know it ran great prior to the year it stood.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

I'm pretty sure my cams are aligned perfect. The only one that concerns me is the crank. Like I'm at the point of frustration where I might just consider my losses buy a new engine and never touch an audi again. Even though I really like the d3s. Otherwise I'm a Mercedes fan..... And just out of curiosity how the hell did the belt win over the chain.... Ok sure 4 cyls it saves money but v8s???? They're already unreliable as is.... Wtf!!!