AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Bringing in a Euro-spec S8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/bringing-euro-spec-s8-13423/)

gapa8 07-25-2005 03:14 PM

Bringing in a Euro-spec S8

I am on a quest here that most of you can appreciate. I am wanting to bring over a Euro-Spec S8 with 6-Speed transmission. Finding one is easy. The hard part is getting it registered over here. I spoke to an importer this morning and he told me he has done a 2000 S8 for someone and it costs almost $25k to bring the car up to specs!!! This was because he is forced to completely remove the rear end of the car to add some missing components necessary for the US roads.

I have two questions:
1.) Does anyone know of 'back door' methods to get a car over here which don't cost an arm and a leg.. or are blantantly illegal (I.e. - shipping to Mexico, swapping VINs, etc..)
2.) Is the owner of the aforementioned Euro S8 on this site.. and if you are please identify yourself!!

Anyone who helps me with the first is guarenteed a chance to drive the beast when it comes over!

Jestnomen 07-25-2005 11:55 PM

RE: Bringing in a Euro-spec S8

I highly doubt it would be economical to do such a thing. This is the reason there are VERY few B5 RS4's in the USA. It just costs too much to bring them up to spec.

gapa8 07-26-2005 01:17 AM

A funny side note to my conversations with importing experts. One of them told me that I could import the vehicle under a temporary status. When I asked what he meant by temporary, he said that at the end of the year I would have two options, export the car out of the states, or DESTROY it! Can you fathom that?!?!
Here's how the conversation would go.. Hi honey, I'll be back in a bit. I'm going to go play golf with Stan, pick up some groceries and then blow up my S8. See you tonight! HA!!

One question though.. what keeps someone from importing on a temporary status, exporting to say Mexico and selling it to a 'friend' and then buying it back and getting a new temporary status? I"m sure this has been tried before to limited success, but just a thought..

AWDaholic 07-27-2005 11:08 AM

Gapa,

Best advice I can offer, based on my fruitless search for a loophole through which to import my Opel Calibra Turbo, is to try'N find a way to import it into Canada. Canada's import rules aren't always as restrictive as ours and there's a paragraph in the DOT regs (Don't remember where, but I remember it's there) that says any vehicle that can be importeds into Canada will be considered legal in America. Not sure if this'll help, or not, but if you want it bad enough it's worth teh research...

The only other way would be with an illegal vin-swap. Can't give any details on who/what/where/when/how, but at least 1 shipping agent/importer I contacted way back when suggested it and offered to perform the necessary surgery... But, it is VERY illegal and, if caught, not only would you face substantial fines and possibly jail time, the car would be destroyed as part of the punishment...

gapa8 07-28-2005 06:45 PM

Yeah.. I'm familiar with the VIN swapping scam. I had some 'aquaintences' who did this with VW Beetle's from Brazil a few years back. All went well until the Feds found out. 2-3 years in lock down will make you reevaluate! I did see that there is a Canadian vehicle exemption, but I believe it is only for vehicles that were registered in Canada, and I have no idea how I would do that?

I appreciate the help though.

The other option I am seriously considering is bringing a car over, driving it for a year, and then parting it out or using it for a 'Kit Car'. I think you can get a new title under a 'Kit Car' and just do minor revisions to the car... or something crazy (Make it a convertible?)

A high miles example S8 in Germany right now sells for under $10k!!! Can you believe that??!! Its almost worth importing to get the drivetrain!

AWDaholic 07-28-2005 11:51 PM

Well, make sure you keep us posted as to what route you take and how it turns out. Yeah, S8 mota & tranny wud B schweet... I wonder what RS6's are going for? I allus thought a twin-turbo wud make the 8 even better...

luvin_the_rings 07-29-2005 05:35 PM

yea, the way that all the japaneese enthusiasts do it is that they get one of their japaneese homies in japan to take the engine and tranny out, ship it sepretaly, and put it back to gether in the us and label it a "project car" or "kit car"

totally 100% legal... sort of...

gapa8 08-01-2005 03:16 AM

I thought about the tranny and even the engine shipping route, but that would cost almost as much as bringing an S8 legally!

I will do some brainstorming with some of my Georgetown Law buddies and see what I can come up with. If I can figure out a loophole that won't land me in jail or cost me big bucks.. I promise to offer the service up to everyone here first!

AWDaholic 08-02-2005 02:32 AM

G'town law buddies, huh? I'm interested in finding out some info about the possibility of bringing a personal injury suit against the both the property owners and management company that run the apartment complex I currently live in. Any of your buddies willing to give me a free consult to discuss the particulars? If so, pm me a contact name & number, please...

balgear 08-03-2005 11:03 PM

I have an A6 4.2 with a overheating problem that began today. A first the ecectric fans were quiet, so I thought that was the heating problem. The mechanic said I need a new radiator. I doubted it since it has 52,000 miles and most of them highway. I took the car home about 5 miles and the overheat indicator came on as I pulled in my driveway. One hour later I started it and the electric fans came on (suprise!) so I took it for a ride about 2 miles and it overheated again and the fans stopped as I ended the test drive.

Could this be a water pump (circulation) problem or some kind of sensor problem?

Help.

Many thanks, Bruce B