Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Bringing in a Euro-spec S8

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Bringing in a Euro-spec S8

Welcome to the forums, BalGear. Now that that's out of the way... It's kinda bad form to hijack someone else's thread in this part of the forums. Perfectly acceptable (well, not perfectly, but certainly more acceptable) in the "OffTopic" section.

Better you should have started your own thread.

Now that THAT'S out of the way. Bruce (can I call you Bruce?), my personal philosophy when it comes to diagnosing vehicular repair is to go with the cheapest solution, first. But, let me talk through your problem back to front, so to speak. First, I've yet to hear of NEbody having NE problem with their radiator on their Audi. But there are others with more experience on Audi's AND this furim than I. Hopefully they'll chime in but it could take a while as teh A8 section is not very busy very often.

It cud be the waterpump which, if it weren't circulating properly it could conceivably cause your radiator core to fail. Usually because of corrosion. WHich, by the way, is the ONLY reason I know of to replace a radiator...

You know what? As I sit here pontificating about the various reasons why a radiator would/could fail, it occurs to me that someone using non-Audi approved Anti-Freeze in an Audi coolant system would completely ruin their coolant system... Very possibly to the point of needing a radiator replaced and, yes, maybe EVEN the water pump, TOO. IF your Audi has non-Audi-spec coolant (it should be RED, not GREEN if it's Audi-spec) your mechanic friend may vary well be right...

EDYT: BTW, B, this is the A8, not the A6 section. Thought I'd mention that, too...

Old 08-05-2005, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

I have never imported a car, but have a suggestion that could be helpful (maybe not). Is it possible to get the car over here? Is the problem just making it leagal once its here or do they inspect the vehical before you get it. If you can receive the S8 and just need to liscense it, there are numerious loopholes in the DMV. I once again have never imported so maybe this doesn't help. Let me know if it is just a ploblem with DMV and I might be able to help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4165/AC6D7DDFDC5B4B11A8B0899880C01C9A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Senior Administrator

KInda works like this (generally speaking, so don't NEbody take potshots at my discription):

You find a car. Find someone to transport it. WHen it hits the dock, here, ya gotta post a bond against the vehicle for THREE times the value of teh vehicle. You have a period of time (I don't remember how long, RTFM if ya RILLY wanna know) to get it in compliance with DOT (current year, I think) and EPA (year of manufacture, I believe) or you forfeit your bond. Registered companies (with customs, if memory serves) are allowed to take posession of vehicle for transport to bonded lots for conversion to bring it into watever res it needs to adhere to... You get something like two tries to get it into compliance within the allotted time, and one (only one) wavier to extend teh deadline. Blow THAT and it's off to the crusher (did I mention that you forfeit your bond $$$ at this point?) ONLY after it makes it through customs (AFTER meeting DOT & EPA regs according to a gub'mint inspector) will you be able to register it through whatever states DMV/MVA/whatever it may be...

Old 08-07-2005, 05:52 AM
1st Gear

There are three options and only three when it comes to Federalizing a car.

1) Import the car under temporary staus, U.S Customs will allow you to ship it over here for six months only...after that the car must be exported or destroyed.

2) Import the car as "race only, not to be driven on a public highway" you will be able to keep the car, but it can never be driven legally.

3) Go through the federalization process.

For your information, here is a link of the US importing information.
EPA : http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/quikover.htm
DOT : http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/
US customs : http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/import

Old 08-07-2005, 06:04 AM
1st Gear

Here is a PDF file listing all of the modifications required to import a S8 and get it federalized

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf88/257450_web.pdf

Old 08-07-2005, 06:11 AM
1st Gear

You must change the instrument cluster, install US spec headlamps and side marker lights, tail lamps and side marker lights, US spec passenger side mirror glass, a VIN plate, DOT legal brake fluid, the cars ECU must be recoded to US Specs and that is about it. Should cost no more than 2k to bring it up to standards. Good Luck on you aquisition.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Here is a list of registered importers: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...t06202005.html

Old 08-07-2005, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks 400A4.. I agree with you and are aware of the federalization process, which is why I was looking for some loopholes if anyone knew of them.

A buddy of mine suggested having the engine and/or tranny removed and ship the car over here, reassemble and register as an assembled vehicle.

The temporary status works as well.. but you would have to sell it to a shell company outside of the US and then re-buy it from then for another year of temporary status (This would be a ROYAL pain in the a$$)

Old 10-04-2005, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

Damn, had no idea it was that hard to import something like a manual S8.

I'm so envious of diplomats driving stuff like Audi A3s and A2s in Washington.......they just put them on a ferry and thats it.[:@]