Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A8
 cam shaft oil leak!!!! Please help me >

cam shaft oil leak!!!! Please help me

Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

cam shaft oil leak!!!! Please help me

Old 09-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Default cam shaft oil leak!!!! Please help me

Hi everyone

I have an Audi A8 2.8 quatro 2002

It appears I have 2 oil leaks,have had it looked at and been told that the cam shaft sensors gaskets need replacing!! Not sure if im right about this as not too good at mechanics but have a friend that is. This is how i can describe what im on about,looking at the engine with all covers off Im looking at the cam shaft on the right and just above it theres a small block with electrics on it.This bloce seems too be attached to the rocker cover(I think) it appears too be something too do with the timing (IVE BEEN TOLD)
I have the same problem on the left but its possitioned to the rear of this block and as its leaking the oil is dropping on to the exhaust manifold so I have smoke and smell through the car!!!

Please can anyone help me with a little advice etc as I feel garage is taking me for a ride !!

Many thanks

Stuart

Old 09-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Default RE: cam shaft oil leak!!!! Please help me

a picture would be nice?? but I doubt its the cam seal because its leaking onto the exhaust system more like the cam cover seal needs to be tightened down or its split ( I doubt it though ) nip the cam cover bolts up to 8lb ft hand tight then see how it goes

Old 09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Senior Administrator

You know what, I recently started having teh same problem with oil leaking onto the exhaust, from the upper erear of teh engine. Gonna try that cam-cover bolt-tightening thingy, and see how it goes... More to follow, as updates occur

Old 11-13-2006, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

2.8 Engines "Cam seals" special. Usually the cam seals tend to cause oil leaks. I'm betting on cam seals and cam adjuster seals (aka half moon seal kit). Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Senior Administrator

OK, well, it turns out *MY* oil leak was due to a failed rear breather hose. Thing hadda hole in it like a piggy-bank slot. replaced teh hose ($95.00 item from teh stealer, fountit online for about half that, shipped. Replaced teh hose... leak stopped! I'm happy, again, but that may be due to my Dr. upping my meds, iount know[8D]