Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Car shopping: '06-'07 Audi A8L vs. BMW 750Li vs. ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Car shopping: '06-'07 Audi A8L vs. BMW 750Li vs. ?

I'm shopping for a new car for my wife. Previously she had an '06 Chrysler 300C (SRT-8 wheels, shocks, springs, struts--so much better handling than stock) which met an untimely demise. We've got a budget of around $25k-$30k and are looking for something of approximately the same size as the 300 (have a 3-year-old and another one due in two months, so decent-sized back seat is important), but something moderately sporty. NO SUVs--ever! Alas, my wife says no stick shift, so slushbox only.

We've been eyeing the Audi A8L and BMW 750Li, circa '06-'07, as they appear to be priced in the upper $20k range, with 60K or fewer miles. (We aren't set on the long wheelbase models--just figured those would definitely have big back seats. The regular wheelbase versions might be sufficiently big back there.) The Mercedes S550 is in the same range for that vintage and mileage, but we think it's the least attractive of the three. It's not ruled out, though, just not on the A list at the moment.

My wife doesn't care so much about vehicle dynamics, but since I'll be behind the wheel periodically, I'd prefer something that is sportier to drive--decent suspension, good brakes, and a transmission that shifts promptly. (Rev matched downshifts would be sweet.) If I could talk her into an A8L W12 or a 760, I would, but price and the "we don't NEED something that powerful" voice of marital reason say not so much.

Reliability is paramount--I imagine repairs for luxury/sport sedans that cost $80K+ brand new probably aren't cheap. Not that we can't budget for them, but I'd rather not have to burn up a nest egg on a transmission or something.

I realize posting this on an Audi forum will likely result a lot of "the A8 is better" responses, but please explain to me why you feel that way. Thanks!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

They are both good cars. But your righ I would say Audi because this is Audi forums

But I like the styling of the a8 much better than the 750. The 05+ with the new facelift and grill not the 04. The tranny in both I believe, are made by ZF so tie there. All comes down to the engine,reliability, and interior design.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear

Both great cars-very different personalities. If I were driving, I would pick the A8L, but if I were to be driven, I'd pick the BMW all the way. Up front the Audi is much more engaging, and I maintain this feeling across all the BMW/Audi match ups.

Much more attractive interface (and modern looking!) with better materials found in the Audis. But the back seat of the BMW offers way more in the way of entertainment and comfort/convenience for the passengers.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

Agree that both cars are great, and you should drive them both as it is definitely a different driving experience. The control systems (MMI-Audi) for both cars may be an issue to consider as well, as in my experience, the Audi is easier to navigate than that of the 750.
If reliability is an issue, I believe that the BMW will have more issues with suspension, oil leaks, and quality of built. I say this having owned several BMW vehicles (currently M3 2004), and being very happy with my A8 2004. When I raise my M3 and find that with 48K miles two expensive leaks need fixing, I am not a happy camper. Consider that I got rid of my 2002 BMW 530 because it was one leak after the other.
In the plus side for BMW it is a pleasure to drive.
My A8 has 160K miles and I am happy to report that it is dry (no leaks).
The front suspension on the 750 will possibly need complete replacement as I have seen in 3 friends' 745I. The parts are not expensive, but there is a lot of labor involved, so unless you do it yourself, I suggest you purchase some sort of warranty. Also there is an issue with valve cover gaskets and an inner seal in the 750 engine that you should visit the BMW forums and get informed about.
Did not mean to overwhelm you with my 2 cents.