AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Car starts when it wants to (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/car-starts-when-wants-100463/)

Milesjd24 04-28-2008 09:42 PM

Car starts when it wants to

About once every thirty times I try to start my '04 '8' it just says "naaaa I don't feel like it." The car makes a click, I get all electrical power, but the car doesn't turn over. Of course when I tried to reproduce this at the dealer it started every timew/o issue. Audi service centers at two differentdealers can't seem to identify the issue.Am I the only one?

Black on tan 2004 A8L

[IMG]local://upfiles/52557/5D75985474A3444990526519E2514501.jpg[/IMG]

rfdieter 04-28-2008 11:27 PM

RE: Car starts when it wants to

No, you are not the only one. I had the same problem, but the dealer fixed my '04. Didn't really tell me exactly what they did other than say a TSB out for the problem and they updated the software. Had to keep car overnight. They said Audi knew some D3's had the problem and they would fix it if you complained of issue. I think car had 50,000 miles when fixed andNO problem since.

rowemark 04-29-2008 06:34 AM

Having the same issue with my 8. Probably once out of 30-40 starts. I just got my car a month ago with warranty so I took it to the dealership for a workover and let them know about the starting issue. They told me that the computer didn't show any problem and that there was no "log" of the car not starting. I still have a couple months of time left on my warranty so I am going to insist they inspect further. I'll post whatever I find out!

gmudan 05-01-2008 07:25 PM

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM...IN ABOUT 10 STARTS I WOULD GET A CLICK ...THEN AFTER RETIRING THE ENGINE WOULD TURN OVER...I TO IT IN TO THE DEALER UNDER WARRANTY ( IT'S A GOOD JOB THESE A8'S HAVE WARRANTY AFTER 80K)
THEY REPLACED THE STARTER MOTOR...SHE STARTS O.K NOW.

Milesjd24 05-01-2008 08:11 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm headed back to the dealer tomorrow, so I'll keep ya posted on what happens.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52557/0720F324D6724ACEAD0FBA88D875D52F.jpg[/IMG]

rowemark 05-01-2008 09:09 PM

Heading to the dealer tomorrow too. I reported it again and insisted that they spend some time investigating. Hopefully they will. Will let you know!

-Mark

rowemark 05-02-2008 06:28 PM

Audi dealer still insists there's nothing wrong. "Computer didn't show any codes.....keep an eye on it." I still have warranty left so I assured them that I would continue to bring it in until they do something. Please let me know if anyone gets better results with this problem. Thanks!

-Mark

rfdieter 05-03-2008 07:59 AM

I found the dealer receipt for the repair on my 2004 A8L and I have had no issues for 6 months after they updated the software. Here is what the service notes on my receipt says:

When turning on ignition intermittently the car wants to start and then shuts every thing down and will not start.

Notes from Audi technician: Found engine software level too low. Tested and verified customers concern. Checked for faults in GFF and found no faults. Checked TSBs and found no TSBs apply to this concern. Contacted tech line and performed telediagnostics and reflashed the ECM to higher software level to repair no start. Tested several times after and found all OK.

Software update:
GFF / Guided functions
Update Engine control unit software
Readiness code (USA)

This service was performed in November 2007 at Fred Baker Audi in Cleveland, OH area and I have never had the problem again. Maybe you want to print this out and show your dealer. Hope this helps.

rowemark 05-05-2008 08:48 PM

Thanks rfdieter! Very cool of you. Waiting for a part to come in and will be heading back in again...will definitely print this out.
-Mark

rfdieter 05-05-2008 09:46 PM

Your welcome.