Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

D2 ran out of gas now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:38 PM
1st Gear
Default D2 ran out of gas now won't start

By accident my 2001 a8 ran out of gas after putting 8 gallons in and turning it over it won't start. I finally got it running for about 5 mins but then it sputtered out I was able to get it running again but it stays at 400 rims and when I press the gas it stalls. Check fuse on feel pump which was fine. I bought a filter and will try that. Any other suggestions before I put in the fuel filter. I know stupid move for it to run out of gas.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 PM

You MAY have burned up the fuel pump by allowing it to run dry. Fuel pump failures are pretty well documented with these cars at around 150k miles. Running it dry could easily accelerate the process.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:06 AM

Take out the carpeted cover in the trunk. On the passenger side of the car you will see a cover with 3 screws. Take the cover off and you will have access to fuel pump, check if there is power coming to the fuel pump from the vehicle, if no power then check fuses and relays. Also you can test fuel pump by wiring it directly to a batter or jump box. DO IT ONLY FOR FEW SECONDS to see if it turns on or not. I'm pretty confident your fuel pump went to bed though. We had an S4 that we sold and customer ran out of fuel and fuel pump went bad. If you need a fuel pump, Shokan Coachwerks sells used ones with a warranty. Search for them online. Good luck

Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Fuel Pump

I just changed my fuel pump and now it stalls after running it for 15-20 min. can anyone tell me what could be wrong.. Maybe a bad gas cap?