Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Disconnecting the Coin Drawer A8 2006

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM
1st Gear
Question Disconnecting the Coin Drawer A8 2006

I need some help and would appreciate if someone has the knowledge how to dismantle the coin drawer in the A8 4.2 Quattro 2006 model. This drawer keeps me away from taking the front interior apart to fix my display monitor console and I can't find the way to disconnect it.
Thank you very much!

Last edited by sarigd; 04-22-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

The process is a little more complicated then you'd prob like.. when you release the coin tray you;
1.first have to remove the coin tray "clip". Push the trey button so it's extended out towards you. once out you should be able to slide the clip to the left and it will pop off.. be very careful because it is very fragile..
2.Then you have to open the glove compartment and remove the decorative wood piece all the way across the dash. Paying special attention to the drivers side.. (fragile)
3.Then you have to remove the air vent to the left of the glove compartment and right above the tray. To do that you need two watchmaker's screwdrivers (these are the really tiny screwdrivers used on watches and glasses)
4.If you turn the vent up all the way you'll see two notches where you can put these two screwdrivers in each notch.
5.Pry the vent off form the left and right till it comes out(the screwdrivers have to remail in the notches while you pull the vent ott). (you'll notice the coin drawer right under the vent)
6.There are two tabs on the coin tray and once you release them you should be able to slide the coin tray out.

good luck

Old 04-25-2013, 04:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Thank you VERY much

for your very detailed and professional reply. It is indeed more complicated than I could hope for, but at least now I could find the way to take the monitor out (I broke my head around this so far).
It is quite astonishing to see how complex one tiny drawer connection can be...
Many many thanks again !

Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

I've found everything on my A8 to be complicated so far.. lol.. If you are the do it yourself type of guy I would highly suggest buying the service manual for your car. I've had my car for about a month now and the manual for about a week and have barley scratched at all the different things you can do. It's been a huge help and was only $20. The other thing that you might want to consider purchasing is the vehicle diagnosis system. I've been skeptical about this product because it's like $350 but I've been doing a lot of research and it sounds like a sound investment as well. Everything on our Audi's is controlled through the diagnosis system. To give you an example, my navigation is showing me a few miles away from where I really am. After going through the manual, I’ve checked the antenna, all the fuses, etc. I called the dealership to see what they would say and the service manager told me it needs to be calibrated with the GPS antenna.. WTF.. that's when I realized how important that vehicle diagnosis thing is. Good luck on everything and if you need anything from the manual, let me know and I can try to look it up until you get yours in.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

When you put the vent back, make sure the louvre close mechanism engages with the solenoid in the dash. Make sure the electric cable for the tray doesn't fall down inside the dash - tie string to it if it might.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

I found it very easy to remove just the coin drawer - there are two 'dog ears' at the very rear that need to be depressed. I used two table knives and slid them in when the coin drawer was fully withdrawn. Took about 10 seconds to pull it out!

Send me a direct e-mail for a picture if you wish: kittyandgary'at'verizon.net replace the 'at' with @

Gary Knox