AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   DTC history (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/dtc-history-123043/)

nemohm 01-17-2009 11:13 AM

DTC history

The car 2003 S8,

Is there a place in the ECU memory where DTC history is stored and available for read by dealers, but not available for read with Vag-com scan ?
The history supposedly has a time stamp on ALL error ever shawn?

auditech79 01-17-2009 11:47 AM

If you have a vag com you should be able to read all the fault codes the dealer can.
It will show stored DTC's.

nemohm 01-17-2009 07:17 PM

Auditech79,
On a car w/o current DTC, and previously ALL codes deleted, a dealer suggests they retrieved codes dated a year and more old that are orderly displayd with a time stamp.
Vag - com does not show a history or time stamp.

Also the dealer points to problems and codes we never retrieved by VAg-com. Codes are related to the transmission.

Is this a speculation - misstatement by the dealer?

Or the dealer points to codes (previously read) stored in a central (dealer's) database outside the car?

The only way, we could think about, is to get the car scaned by the dealer and history printed out (after Vag-com deletion)!

Thx,

auditech79 01-18-2009 01:29 PM

The dealer can download fault codes directly from the scan tool and upload them onto the data base at the dealer for future reference if needed. There is no "time stamp" BS the dealer is spouting off about. There is freeze frame data that the VAG COM also can record but that goes away after the key is cycled off. Of course there could also be something wrong with the VAG COM cable you have, you didn't buy the cable off EBAY did you?

nemohm 01-18-2009 02:29 PM

The cable is registered and licensed (from Ross-tech).

Do dealers share the uploaded and saved codes?

This was first time this particular dealer is involved, even first time a dealer in this city.

The particular error read was about 4th gear fault. Then all codes deleted. Dealer finds an error related to 5th gear( and many more errors), from an year ago. Dealer states the exact date for any error.

Also dealer states that he has the ability to read codes that are not accessible to tools available to the public outside the dealership.

I tend to believe there is some speculation going on.

Thx,

auditech79 01-19-2009 12:16 AM

No dealers, don't share than information, its in their specific database.
He does have a little more access than the VAG COM tool does, but just dealer specific stuff that you really couldn't understand without german access codes etc.
What exactly is the problem with the car anyway?

nemohm 01-20-2009 10:34 AM

It is a long story...
In short --- the car runs over come rocks on the road and gets damaged underneath.
Insurance covers the repairs that include tip replacement.
The puzzle is that the dealership (certified by Audi Canada for transmission repairs) never read the codes, never did a proper diagnostic, quite aside from the basic procedures. They started with pan and oil replacement – then replaced the tip.
Odyssey that was on for 4.5 months.
At some point (after repairs) the technician from the dealership suggests that he has access to history of DTC and there were tip problems long ago.
At this point I posted.
It happens now that there is no DTC history stored but speculations based on old work orders (dealers share records).
Attempt of cover up for non-professionally managing of the case.
The car still has noises and vibration from the front end.
Rims were deformed in a way as the car was used in a movie and jumped from the 4th floor.

auditech79 01-20-2009 10:13 PM

So, in other words they replaced the transmission and after they couldn't figure out how to fix it they say that they found information that it had shifting problems before the rock accident? That would make it a TCM problem. (trans computer) I don't see why this should be a problem, i think the dealer is hiding something from you, like they don't know what they are doing kinda thing.

nemohm 01-22-2009 12:08 PM

As I mentioned it is an insurance claim.
The transmission was replaced w/o reading DTC at any time.
Realizing that not following the procedure is clear for the user, dealership speculate on previous issues found in the old work orders (times ago, different city, previous owner).

Thank you for your comments.