AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Electric Boot Lock after battery discharge (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/electric-boot-lock-after-battery-discharge-162653/)

rconsalvi 01-07-2011 07:17 PM

Electric Boot Lock after battery discharge

Hi to all.

A few days ago the battery in my Audi A8 has fully discharged.
I restarted the car with an extra battery and I noticed that the
system settings (date, time ...) had reset.

I've update it easily, but I noticed a major malfunction: the electric boot lock no longer work too (the boot remains always open!).

Even the LEDs above the doors (which indicate whether the doors are closed or not) are always off.

Therefore, I think that the problem is software, not hardware. There is probably some form of malfunction in the MMI ...

I have the VAG cable and software. Can someone help me?

schiu 01-08-2011 09:03 AM

Try pulling the fuse of the power pull down for a few seconds(locate in the fuse box above the battery) MINE DOES THE TRICK

rconsalvi 01-08-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by schiu (Post 1275083)
Try pulling the fuse of the power pull down for a few seconds(locate in the fuse box above the battery) MINE DOES THE TRICK

Thanks for your attention.

Can you specify which number the fuse is, counting from bottom to top?

schiu 01-08-2011 09:26 PM

It is no 3 from the top

rconsalvi 01-09-2011 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by schiu (Post 1275269)
It is no 3 from the top

Hi schiu.

Unfortunately I tried to remove the fuse, as you indicated, but nothing to do.
I tried both the car off and engine on. I also tried to remove and replace the other fuses ... but nothing.

To avoid any misunderstanding, I want to specify that my boot is not self-opening/closing: Tha failure, after the complete discharge of the battery, is only the electric lock. Simultaneously to the electric boot lock, even the leds on the doors (indicating the alarm after the closure of the car), do not work anymore.

I think it is more an issue of MMI, but I do not know which unit manages the boot and the leds on the doors, or what channel to check.

I attach a picture of the fuse plate on the battery of my Audi A8 4E. I tried to remove all of these fuses for a few seconds... but no success.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks, Roberto.

schiu 01-09-2011 09:03 AM

Sorry about the confusion, mine is self closing . My boot lid won't close few weeks ago and i read the forum about the electric boot lock being unreliable and the only way to cure it is to replace the lock( the one underneath the boot lid) or try cleaning the lock by spraying WD 40 . I removed the lock cover (just by pulling it out ) and spray WD 40 into the lock especially into the gap between the lock and the boot lid this is to clean the contacts and pull the fuse out for a few seconds . Since then it's been working normal.
Hope this will help

silverd2 01-09-2011 09:07 AM

The leds are probably not lit because the boot is not latched, so the alarm is not fully set. If your boot is not self-closing (latch does not electrical pull the last few cm's), then it it not latching due to a mechanical failure of the top (boot lid) portion of the latch.
If I understand correctly the type latch you have, it releases elecrtrically (or mechnaically with key/key button) and latches mechanically, being pushed down...if so, the electrics have nothing to do with this. It's broken or out of adjustment upper latch.

rconsalvi 01-09-2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 1275369)
The leds are probably not lit because the boot is not latched, so the alarm is not fully set. If your boot is not self-closing (latch does not electrical pull the last few cm's), then it it not latching due to a mechanical failure of the top (boot lid) portion of the latch.
If I understand correctly the type latch you have, it releases elecrtrically (or mechnaically with key/key button) and latches mechanically, being pushed down...if so, the electrics have nothing to do with this. It's broken or out of adjustment upper latch.

Thanks to all, in advance.
My english is poor so excuse me for misunderstanding.

My latch does run in this way:

When I close (push down) the boot (by hands) a motor will go in action and locks the boot. The electrical noise of the motor takes about 2 seconds. When I open the boot(by hands), I hear the noise of an electronic lock for less than a second; it unlocks the boot and allows me to open it (always, by hands).

Since the battery has discharged, the electrical motor no longer works and then the hood is only backed down, but always open. Then, the lock is electric (with motor) while the opening / closing is manual.

Any suggestions or pictures on how to open the electrical boot motor lock?

silverd2 01-09-2011 03:06 PM

I understand...that would likely be the lower (body mounted) portion of the latch. I don't have a manual covering your model, but do know this part should be behind the boot liner, rear section and likely driven by drive cable from motor mounted over near the battery, and probably also behind rear (under latch) boot liner panel. All this just from memory of a drawing I've seen of your system.

rconsalvi 02-02-2011 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 1275459)
I understand...that would likely be the lower (body mounted) portion of the latch. I don't have a manual covering your model, but do know this part should be behind the boot liner, rear section and likely driven by drive cable from motor mounted over near the battery, and probably also behind rear (under latch) boot liner panel. All this just from memory of a drawing I've seen of your system.

So... I disassembled the trunk cover, the locking plate plastic cover and opened the battery compartment. I tried to manually lock and unlock (with a screwdriver) the enclosure mounted on the boot cover... at last I noticed that the rubber/metal pin used to lock the trunk, via the bowden cable, mounted on the chassis, was in the low position, that is closing position. It must normally be in high position, letting the boot cover to lock when shutted down, and, when the cover is low (closed), the bowden cable moves the pin low, locking the boot cover. The malfunction was not in the motor but in the wrong initial position of this locking pin. To reset it, I tried to open and close the cover boot lock by the car key, pushing, in the meantime, the opening manual switch in the cover. Trying again and again, with the car engine running, I finally obtained to restore the high position of the lock pin (motor pushed the bowden cable to restore the high position for the locking pin) and the problem was "self" solved. I hope it is useful to someone.
Roberto.