AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Final Drive Seal Time (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/final-drive-seal-time-133816/)

GregL 06-17-2009 08:13 PM

Final Drive Seal Time

I recently took my 2001 A8L for an oil change at one of the local import shops upon inspection I noticed The final drive seal apparently is leaking and will need service . My question is what can I expect to pay for this service
I'm not trying to get reamed
The shop I'm use to taking the car to quoted me 1100/1200 bucks based on 11 hours
Virginia Beach Autohaus
located in Virginia
Looking at the Article written by Paul Waterloo/ AudiPages it seems to be a overkill on time
I wondering should I try a Tranny shop instead
Thanks
Greg

auditech79 06-17-2009 11:46 PM

Rear main seal on the engine? Or torque converter seal on the tans? The rear main almost never leaks on these cars. How did you come to the conclusion that its leaking?

GregL 06-18-2009 07:25 AM

Transmission Output
Flange Seal

auditech79 06-18-2009 05:34 PM

Oh god those are easy! That only takes 30 minutes to change one of those. Don't let those bastards rape you like that. The only reason they sold that to you is because "the book" says you have to lower the transmission which is complete bull shit. The only thing you have to do is take off the alan bolts holding the driveshaft to the trans off, let the drive axle hang down, remove the center torx bolt, pull the carrier out of the back of the trans and pry out the seal. Pop in the new seal with either the correct hammer press tool, or bang it flush with a dead blow hammer. It litterally takes no time at all. I used to sell output shaft seals all day long at the dealer, i actually feel bad for screwing people over like that back in the day.

GregL 06-18-2009 08:30 PM

output seal

Auditech, " you da man"
I looked at it myself and it seemd a bit steep thats why i Carried my arss quick
Ive been looking for parts online and seem to get a few different numbers you think you can help me with Parts I plan to order online
Transmission filter & Gaskits
Output seal and everything needed to do it right
and everything I should do or need while under there
2001 A8L
Vin #WAUML54D81N010988
I also have the rasping sound when I first take off like rocks are in my cats
Thanks Man
If you have Pay pal I'll send you something for your time
Thanks
Greg

auditech79 06-18-2009 10:24 PM

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D2_A8-.../Transmission/
Everything you need should be on that page, except for the filter, the seal is at the bottom. http://www.germanpartsonline.com/catalog.php for the filter. Look on the bottom of the transmission for a little green tag, on the tag will have three capital letters like FBG. When you figure out what trans code you have just choose the filter that applies, there is only two filters to choose from.
As for the rasping sound in the cats, its probably just a bad cat or exhaust clamp. Not much you can do there besides replace everything. You could run a custom made exhaust for much cheaper than doing an OEM exhaust again.

I have a paypal LOL, but i have enough money.

silverd2 08-04-2010 05:16 PM

I know this is an "old" thread, but the problem will exist as long as D2's are still runnin:

Found a photo of an updated output flange in the link below (including flange part #). An Audi dealer (not one I've dealt with) parts man told me on the phone that the new type flange "required" an updated end plate and seal, because the new flange was a different diameter, with a new size/shape seal AND would NOT fit the old seal and old plate.

According to the poster of this link and photo, he told me by email that he was replacing the end plate anyway (damaged during repair?). He said the new seal AND end plate were exactly the same (part #'s and all) as the old ones AND that the new flange was exactly the same diameter and everything except an extra lathe cut...can't confirm that, since I'm not there and haven't seen any of the new parts in person. But the photo looks as though the only difference IS a channel groove and undercut next to the outer end of the seal contact surface.
If this really is the ONLY thing changed, it seems (I can only guess) to indicate that the old version seal failures (repeated) are caused by crud build up eating the seal from the outside in (??).

It just looks as though the channel/undercut does nothing more than provide "breathing room" (so to speak) for the same type of seal...IF indeed there was no change in the end plate and seal (?).

Personally, I can't justify the cost ( but some would ), compared to the relative ease and low expense of replacing the old seal...but find this interesting nonetheless.

Would love to hear any thoughts on this from anyone who's seen this in person, has part # info on the "new" plate and seal or made the change.

It's a part that haunts me and most D2 owners...more than once!

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/31427.phtml

aspen79 08-04-2010 10:23 PM

Have to be honest, I've not heard about an updated flange and seal. I have replaced a number of them. Have an A6 coming in for an output flange seal (among other things). ETKA didn't show any updated parts far as I know (and we have 2 excellent parts guys who would know). Last time I did an A8 it was same seal as always, but that was like a year ago. Sorry I couldn't be more help (got your PM) on this one. If I get a chance, I'll try to check into it tomorrow at work. No promises, we've been SWAMPED with work the past couple months (schedule is still over a week out) so "spare time" is slim. We have both Audi and VW btw.

silverd2 08-04-2010 11:47 PM

Thanks man. When I first heard this mentioned in another thread (or forum?) by a member who said he had it put in his S8, I called my local dealer's parts dept...said it wasn't listed, never heard of it. So I went on Audi USA's main site, found a dealer list and started randomly calling ones with toll free numbers....same answer, no such part. On my 3rd try (think it was a Vegas dealer?), they had it listed and gave me that new plate and seal info.
Once I had the part # from the link above, I found it at Audiwholesaleparts.com and assume other non-dealers have it too...but nothing about new plate/seal needed.
Just curious, for future reference...seems to be a lot of confusion about it's existence and compatibility.

J.C. 08-08-2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 1227948)
Thanks man. When I first heard this mentioned in another thread (or forum?) by a member who said he had it put in his S8, I called my local dealer's parts dept...said it wasn't listed, never heard of it. So I went on Audi USA's main site, found a dealer list and started randomly calling ones with toll free numbers....same answer, no such part. On my 3rd try (think it was a Vegas dealer?), they had it listed and gave me that new plate and seal info.
Once I had the part # from the link above, I found it at Audiwholesaleparts.com and assume other non-dealers have it too...but nothing about new plate/seal needed.
Just curious, for future reference...seems to be a lot of confusion about it's existence and compatibility.

I wouldn't trust the Vegas Dealer. I drive an extra 20miles to go to Henderson Dealer because the Vegas Dealer is shady. They almost say yes to anything you ask.