AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Front Tag Cover Removal 2004 A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/front-tag-cover-removal-2004-a8-163378/)

A84ADATE 01-20-2011 05:48 PM

Front Tag Cover Removal 2004 A8

Does anyone know how to remove the front bumper licensce plate facial cover on 2004 A8? it seems simple but i get a lot of resistance when trying to pry it out. Thanks for any suggestions. wes4quality@gmail.com

auditech79 01-20-2011 06:54 PM

Thats because its held in with philips screws, look at the top of the panel and you will see several black philips screws.

A84ADATE 01-21-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by auditech79 (Post 1279410)
Thats because its held in with philips screws, look at the top of the panel and you will see several black philips screws.

Thanks, I will look, but when i was trying to take it off yesterday, all it did was slide a bit and it seemed as if it may pop out, I didnt see any screws?

silverd2 01-21-2011 11:02 AM

If it's just the delete panel (not a plate holder) drawings show that it should pop out...no screws. Plate panel shows one torx in the center.
Try a different removal angle, so you don't run the risk of breaking a tab.

A84ADATE 01-21-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 1279582)
If it's just the delete panel (not a plate holder) drawings show that it should pop out...no screws. Plate panel shows one torx in the center.
Try a different removal angle, so you don't run the risk of breaking a tab.

Thanks, I will try that. I have one more question, I know its not under this thread; I just bought a brand new MMI control assembly from Audi, it is VIN specific to my car. Does it need to be programed or is it just plug and play? thanks!

silverd2 01-21-2011 05:13 PM

Sorry don't know about the MMI...D2's don't have em.

But even farther off-thread: What is up with the software here lately? I went from having 6 empty garages (don't even have 1) to having 2 D3 A8's, a GMC truck AND an empty garage !!?

A84ADATE 01-21-2011 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 1279708)
Sorry don't know about the MMI...D2's don't have em.

But even farther off-thread: What is up with the software here lately? I went from having 6 empty garages (don't even have 1) to having 2 D3 A8's, a GMC truck AND an empty garage !!?

weird, I noticed that too, dont know...

auditech79 01-22-2011 10:10 PM

Did you get the panel out? Called my buddy at the dealer and he said the A8 doesn't use screws, the other models do though. The best way to get it out is to swivel it out from the bottom then out.

The MMI doesn't control panel doesn't need to be programmed, its plug and play if the part numbers are correct.

The software in the site is on the fritz because we are trying to combat hackers/spammers updating etc.

A84ADATE 01-24-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by auditech79 (Post 1279982)
Did you get the panel out? Called my buddy at the dealer and he said the A8 doesn't use screws, the other models do though. The best way to get it out is to swivel it out from the bottom then out.

The MMI doesn't control panel doesn't need to be programmed, its plug and play if the part numbers are correct.

The software in the site is on the fritz because we are trying to combat hackers/spammers updating etc.

OK got it! :) The tag aesthetic cover has a total of 8 tabs that have to be gently pried out with a flat head screw driver, make sure you use a soft cloth when inserting the screwdriver to pop out tabs (PLEASE BE GENTLE)

As far as the MMI, I installed it, and the its already set up for my options etc. I just have a question about the start up when I start the ignition, most of the time it takes 1 to 2 minutes before the MMI will pop up and turn on?? Any ideas? Thanks.

auditech79 01-24-2011 05:28 PM

I would say its a programming issue, those MMI units are really funny if they haven't been updated in a while, ESPECIALLY A 2004 model.