Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Front Tag Cover Removal 2004 A8

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Front Tag Cover Removal 2004 A8

Does anyone know how to remove the front bumper licensce plate facial cover on 2004 A8? it seems simple but i get a lot of resistance when trying to pry it out. Thanks for any suggestions. wes4quality@gmail.com

Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Site Moderator

Thats because its held in with philips screws, look at the top of the panel and you will see several black philips screws.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Thats because its held in with philips screws, look at the top of the panel and you will see several black philips screws.

Thanks, I will look, but when i was trying to take it off yesterday, all it did was slide a bit and it seemed as if it may pop out, I didnt see any screws?

Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 AM
2nd Gear

If it's just the delete panel (not a plate holder) drawings show that it should pop out...no screws. Plate panel shows one torx in the center.
Try a different removal angle, so you don't run the risk of breaking a tab.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by silverd2
If it's just the delete panel (not a plate holder) drawings show that it should pop out...no screws. Plate panel shows one torx in the center.
Try a different removal angle, so you don't run the risk of breaking a tab.
Thanks, I will try that. I have one more question, I know its not under this thread; I just bought a brand new MMI control assembly from Audi, it is VIN specific to my car. Does it need to be programed or is it just plug and play? thanks!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry don't know about the MMI...D2's don't have em.

But even farther off-thread: What is up with the software here lately? I went from having 6 empty garages (don't even have 1) to having 2 D3 A8's, a GMC truck AND an empty garage !!?

Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by silverd2
Sorry don't know about the MMI...D2's don't have em.

But even farther off-thread: What is up with the software here lately? I went from having 6 empty garages (don't even have 1) to having 2 D3 A8's, a GMC truck AND an empty garage !!?

weird, I noticed that too, dont know...

Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Site Moderator

Did you get the panel out? Called my buddy at the dealer and he said the A8 doesn't use screws, the other models do though. The best way to get it out is to swivel it out from the bottom then out.

The MMI doesn't control panel doesn't need to be programmed, its plug and play if the part numbers are correct.

The software in the site is on the fritz because we are trying to combat hackers/spammers updating etc.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Did you get the panel out? Called my buddy at the dealer and he said the A8 doesn't use screws, the other models do though. The best way to get it out is to swivel it out from the bottom then out.

The MMI doesn't control panel doesn't need to be programmed, its plug and play if the part numbers are correct.

The software in the site is on the fritz because we are trying to combat hackers/spammers updating etc.

OK got it! The tag aesthetic cover has a total of 8 tabs that have to be gently pried out with a flat head screw driver, make sure you use a soft cloth when inserting the screwdriver to pop out tabs (PLEASE BE GENTLE)

As far as the MMI, I installed it, and the its already set up for my options etc. I just have a question about the start up when I start the ignition, most of the time it takes 1 to 2 minutes before the MMI will pop up and turn on?? Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Site Moderator

I would say its a programming issue, those MMI units are really funny if they haven't been updated in a while, ESPECIALLY A 2004 model.

Quick Reply: Front Tag Cover Removal 2004 A8