AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   help with codes (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/help-codes-160703/)

A8 windowlicker 11-29-2010 05:38 PM

help with codes

alright everybody. i was finally able to get the codes for my 97 a8. if any body could send me in the right direction so i can keep this thing running once started or start when the engine gets warm. thanks in advance.

P 0102 mass or volume air flow cir low imput
P 0123 throttle/pedal pos sennsor a circ high input
P 0321 ign/distribution eng speed inp circ range/performance
P 1392 camshaft pos sensor, bank 2 short to ground
P 1507 idle sys. learned value lower limit attained

once again thanks. def need to get this thing reliable. a bad left knee wont let me drive my mazdaspeed3. surgery on the way for me next. gotta get this right. the car stalls when it gets warm. the car also doesnt start when the engine is warm. thanks again. tried cleaning the mass air flow sensor and replaced the engine coolant temp sensor. all suggestions are welcome

silverd2 11-29-2010 06:08 PM

OK...P0102 indicates a couple of possibilities: Bad MAF..replace. Dirty MAF...clean with MAF cleaner or brake cleaner. Vacuum leak allowing unmetered air to mix in combustion...hose off manifold, split/broken hose, broken or bad connection.

P1507 is likely a result of car stalling or irregular idle caused by the MAF (or vacuum leak)

The other 3 are suspiciously close to each other on the back of the engine and may not be related to the stalling problem at all...just a guess, though. The cam sensor (P1392...wire possibly shorted to B+) is at rear of the driver's side cylinder head and the P0321 refers to engine speed sensor which is just below that. The TP sensor is on the throttle body. I'd look at the wires in those areas of the engine, looking for damage or oil on plugs, plugs not secure, etc.

But I think the code that most relates to your problem now is the MAF code...would cause stalling and would be heat sensitive.

silverd2 11-29-2010 07:57 PM

If it's the MAF (part # 077133471D ), best price I've seen from a place I trust is 158.40 from http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/pa...?siteid=214407

auditech79 11-29-2010 08:29 PM

Almost all of those codes can be caused by a bad MAF, that would be my suspect.

A8 windowlicker 11-29-2010 08:49 PM

well, welcome back to my misery. i did try to clean the sensor. didn't work unfortunately. just ordered me a new MAF. hope it helps out a bunch. gonna take the car to my gear heads house and check on the other things you mentioned. keep your fingers crossed.

silverd2 11-29-2010 10:00 PM

If the codes (and problem) are corrected after the new MAF, it may take a few driving cycles to reset...OR the parts store code reader can erase them, so you can wait for them to reappear...or not, hopefully.

A8 windowlicker 12-01-2010 01:11 PM

Hello again. So I put the new mass air flow sensor in. I drove the vehicle around the block a few times to get it warmed up and pulled it back into the drive way and sat and waited for what was the inevitable. Sure enough the car ran for a few minutes and then stalled out again. What is the deal here?

silverd2 12-01-2010 04:31 PM

Probably need to clear codes (if not reset already) and maybe still look for a large vacuum leak AND check the wiring/hose to the idle control valve (rear top center of engine, above the throttle valve.
Depending on new codes, check wiring to the engine speed sensor and cam position sensor (bank 2)...both at the rear of cylinder head of driver's side.

...and most importantly, get a vanity plate that reads "money pit" :) ....sorry.

silverd2 12-01-2010 05:06 PM

According to the manual, the P0102 code indicates a bad MAF or a large vacuum leak, allowing unmetered air in...if that code comes back, something is open.
The previous owner may (probably) have been an unqualified tinkerer...I'd even look for hoses missing...like an open hole to the intake somewhere.
Also, back to gas smell in the trunk....smell can come from leaking fuel OR an open vacuum or pressurizing line in the Evap system (tank ventilation...supposed to go to engine to burn) or leak detection pump line....that is supposed to trip a seperate code, but gas smell is coming from somewhere and should never make it's way inside the car.

auditech79 12-02-2010 12:48 AM

It would have to be a very large leak to cause it to stall out, can you hear the engine sucking air at all? You should be able to with the hood open if it has a leak that big.