Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

help with codes

Old 12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Woohoo

Ok. Since the last time I posted there have been a couple developments. First was, I didn't set the bitch on fire. Second, I bought another car so I could tinker with my sweetie of an a8. I picked up a nice barely driven BMW e30 vert for pretty cheap. Then after checking everything u guys have said one more time thinking maybe I received a bad sensor I gave up and took it to a pro. Turns out he found the problems were all caused by a bad crankshaft position sensor. Turns out they are known for this. Once the engine nears 190 degrees it will cause the sensor to give false info and the misfires start because the injectors don't know where to dump fuel. She is all fixed but it did cost me a pretty penny. Now I can drive it till it blows up or I wrap her around a tree. Thanks guys for all the help.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Site Moderator

A common bad crank sensor? Was this a 3.7L V8? Because those were very common yes.
I thought you had a 4.2L.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by A8 windowlicker
Ok. Since the last time I posted there have been a couple developments. First was, I didn't set the bitch on fire. Second, I bought another car so I could tinker with my sweetie of an a8. I picked up a nice barely driven BMW e30 vert for pretty cheap. Then after checking everything u guys have said one more time thinking maybe I received a bad sensor I gave up and took it to a pro. Turns out he found the problems were all caused by a bad crankshaft position sensor. Turns out they are known for this. Once the engine nears 190 degrees it will cause the sensor to give false info and the misfires start because the injectors don't know where to dump fuel. She is all fixed but it did cost me a pretty penny. Now I can drive it till it blows up or I wrap her around a tree. Thanks guys for all the help.
Not too surprised...one of the codes pointed there. Hope they didn't soak ya too bad...it's an $80 part that takes 5 minutes (if that) to change. Plus electronic parts/sensors always seem to be heat-sensitive when they're going bad.
How 'bout the gas smell in the trunk? Still gettin that? ...if so, you need to stay on that....could be acheap home fix, if you can isolate it.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Yeah still getting the gas smell. It def isn't coming from inside. While driving it yesterday I put the window down. The passenger window to be exact and the smell of gas was incredible. I think the smell finds a way in after parking. Def smells worse outside of the car. I can't see any fluid leaks from the fuel lines. Would a clogged filter help with the fuel smell.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM
2nd Gear

Clogged filter should affect the car running at all...wouldn't be my guess. Large or small leaks in the fuel or evap (gas fumes) system should throw a code. Your leak detection pump runs an automatic test every time you start the car and periodic tests after that (while running)...there's even a separate auto test to check the leak detection pump itself, which is supposed to throw a code.

You might get the cast of "Jackass" to approach the car with a bic lighter, with you close behind carrying a dry chemical fire extinguisher

^^That's a joke, son. ^^
--F. Leghorn

Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Site Moderator

Well its not common on the A8, but on the A6 i found that the evap nipples on top of the gas tanks would break off. There is a little metal sleeve inside the nipple increase rigidity of it, but the sleeve would back out and cause the nipple to flex and eventually break off. At least on the A6 it would only throw an EVAP code if it was leaking very badly, and it would be worse just after filling up the tank. There is now a recall for that issue on the A6.
Personally i would take out the right rear fender liner and have a look at the fuel filler neck assembly, there are many small lines that connect to that area that could be leaking slightly, plus its much easier to get at. The entire rear end has to be removed to get at the top of the gas tank....