Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Help!! its raining in my car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Help!! its raining in my car!

Hi All, i have a huge problem with a D3 A8. Recently we have been having prolonged spells of rail here in the UK (i know not that unsurprising) but the other day i went to get in my car and there was water all over the center console. I dried it off quickly but when driven you can hear water "sloshing" when you corner and it also came out of the small vents near the sunroof controls.

Well a couple of days or so passed and the sloshing had stopped, but then last night we had heavy rain again, again the center console was wet but this time its taken out all of the controls on that too

How can i clear the drains in this car?? and more importantly how can i fix the MMI/sunroof and anything else its taken out Any guides for removing the center console? i have checked all the fuses for the relevant parts that now arent working and theyre all fine, which is a real s**t.

Has anyone got any diagrams or how to's for the D3? all ive found so far was for D2.

Help!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

Excellent write up by the famous PaulW here audipages Unclogging the A8 Evaporator Drains on the D3 A8

Old 05-05-2012, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, ill be doing this tomorrow!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

hey all, an update on this, the problem is arguably getting worse. I checked the evaporator drains, both 100% clear, nothing in them at all yet water is still going everywhere. Not a small amount either.

I started to take a few bits of trim off yesterday to see if i could spot anything at all, and came across this when i removed the sunroof control panel and gave it a prod.

Does anyone have a diagram of where these channels run? as after a shower yesterday i drove the car and when i turned a corner id say around 0.5 litre of water gushed out on to the rear seat this should not be happening on a car like this :/ The sunroof does not appear to be leaking at all, we even poured a few gallons of water over the car quickly the other day with me sat in it to see if it leaked and there was nothing.....its completely perplexing....

Can anyone help???

Old 06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Suspect the sunroof drains are backed up based on the video.

In the front there are two small holes, one on either side.
Use a long flexible plastic stick to push down through them.
They drain through the wheel wells via a tube that runs down through the A and D pillars.
I'm not sure where the rear drains begin in the roof though.

There are some pictures and I think diagrams on the AudiWorld forum.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

will it bea easier to just remove the roof lining and get to them all? i dont really want to have to do any of this stuff again. The cars giong in to have all the electrics that this has taken out fixed so i realy dont want it returning...

Old 06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
1st Gear
Old 06-03-2012, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

thats buddy thats great, so now i just need to figure out how to remove the headlining and i think i can tackle this.....

it will not defeat me!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

Once the pillar covers come off I think the headliner pulls down fairly easily.

Will try to look it up in the Bentley tomorrow if time permits.