AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   how long does an engine & tranny last? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/how-long-does-engine-tranny-last-27174/)

gorky 03-12-2006 08:51 PM

how long does an engine & tranny last?

just curious if anyone has an A8 with alot of miles on either the engine, transimission or both?

i'm trying to figure out how many miles one can count on without rebuilding the engine or tranny.

also, does anyone have any experience with rebuilding an engine or tranny? how much does each procedure cost?

thanks,
gorky
1990 silver A8 - 4.2 Quattro

Jestnomen 03-14-2006 10:00 PM

RE: how long does an engine & tranny last?

That's kind of a difficult question. It really depends on how hard the car has been driven.

abacab 03-14-2006 10:21 PM

I don't have an A8, so I have 0 miles....but your results may vary.....j/k

As jestnomen said, there are way too many variables to answer that questions with any level of accuracy. Take care of your car...do scheduled maintenance, change the oil religiously, don't beat on it when it has not warmed up and fix the small things when they go wrong....and it will probably last as long as it can...

I don't know what engine or tranny rebuild costs are...and it again probably depends on what damage is done....for the engine, is that complete new heads, or replacing valves guides springs and resurfacing....and on the block is that everything or just rings and pistons...etc...or dropping in a refurbished engine.....lots of variables that are difficult to determine.

tonypai 03-15-2006 03:11 PM

Engine - Forever or close to it, provided you take care of it. In the year that I've owned the car, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of someone having trouble with the engine.

Tranny - On the pre face lift cars, I'd guess 100K. The really bad ones were replaced under warranty. The rest of us are driving ticking time bombs. Nothing last forever. I think the post face lift were built better and don't seem to have the same number of issues.

gorky 03-18-2006 01:18 PM

yeah, but has anyone out there actually seen 200,000 miles or 300,000 miles on an engine?

or do they all normally blow up by 100,000 miles?

that is kinda the info i was looking for

thanks,
gorky

tonypai 03-20-2006 02:54 PM

I know several people in the upper 100,000 miles, looking to do a second timing belt change. The engines and the aluminum frames are the best parts of the car. Take care of the engine and it'll last you a long, long time.

gorky 03-21-2006 09:48 PM

thanks for feedback.

thanks for feedback.

i plan on taking care of it, but its the abuse prior to my ownership that i cant account for.

just wondered what the norm was for this A8 family

himileage A8 04-10-2006 02:05 PM

How long does an A-8 last??
I bought a new A-8 in "99, and have 290,000 miles on it. The car is pristine inside and out, so I take very good care of it. The engine is still very strong and uses no oil. The transmission is operating flawlessly. The only major repair was the fuel pump replacement @ about 240,000 miles.

quinvg 04-14-2006 03:14 AM

Hi there
I have a 2000 A8, with 125K on it, runs as sweet as ever. The tranny is starting to get notchy, so it is time for some maintenance. Before I bought mine, I saw many for sale with 150K plus, running strong. It's a hard engine to kill, thought the tranny is less bullet proof. I use pentosin full synth oil, change it often. Your's might not take synth oil, so use the highest grade possible
Regards
Quinvg

Andy Cap 04-29-2006 07:43 PM

Put it this way - I have a friend that has a Honda Accord with 209,000 miles on it - original engine and tranny. If a Honda can do it, an Audi can do it effortlessly. Just mind the timing belt - every 60,000 miles.