Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

I finally got mine!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
1st Gear
Smile I finally got mine!

I had to drive 12 hours to get it but I finally picked up a 2008 A8L (I couldn't find one closer that I liked). I had been debating between the A8 and the S8 for a while. But, since this is my first Audi ever I thought I'd be more practical and get the A.

Unfortunately, the dealer didn't have the manual. So, I drove home in the dark without knowing what half the buttons do. It was an interesting ride......

I'm going to try to figure it out today with a little trial an error. If anyone has any tips/tricks, I'd love to hear them. For example, a cool trick with the 7 is, when you come to a stop, if you press and hold start/stop, the car puts itself in Park and pops out the key. Very convenient.

I should have some pics and impressions later for those that might be interested.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by Soundchasr
I had to drive 12 hours to get it but I finally picked up a 2008 A8L (I couldn't find one closer that I liked). I had been debating between the A8 and the S8 for a while. But, since this is my first Audi ever I thought I'd be more practical and get the A.

Unfortunately, the dealer didn't have the manual. So, I drove home in the dark without knowing what half the buttons do. It was an interesting ride......
Similiar to my original story. A plane ride out (D.C. to Chi.) and a 10+ hour drive (Chi. to D.C.) to get home.

Course, in the long, boring drive across IN & OH, I had plenty of time to play with the buttons, even in teh dark (since, they're all lighted)
Originally Posted by Soundchasr
I should have some pics and impressions later for those that might be interested.
What? No camera phone?

Where are you from? 1982?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Site Moderator

^^ROFL! Yeah no pics!? You can buy an owners manual from bentley publishers or lots of different places online, you're gonna need it.
That trick with the old BMW is old school, you don't even need to take the key out of your pocket on the A8

Old 03-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Senior Administrator
Old 03-07-2010, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

Gotta run but here are a couple:

Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

There's a 2008 manual and dvd set on ebay with a by now of 95.00. I went to Oklahoma last month for a 2007 myself. Making trips for Audi's must be the new thing.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by richfam04
There's a 2008 manual and dvd set on ebay with a by now of 95.00. I went to Oklahoma last month for a 2007 myself. Making trips for Audi's must be the new thing.
The dealer says he's going to overnight it. He better!! I still don't know what half these buttons do. And I can't figure out why every time I start the car the rear sunscreen goes up. WTH? hehehe

It's a lot of fun to drive that's for sure. More to come....

Is there any replacement for the ashtray? It would be great for storage.

Last edited by Soundchasr; 03-08-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 PM

To change the sunscreen setting, you need to get into the MMI Setup and change the "Rear blind convenience" to "off"

cheers!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

Yup! I had to fly to SE Washington to get mine. It was the only one in the state that had the interior color, exterior color , clean car fax, low mileage, history in states that don't salt the roads, blah, blah, blah...

I flew over with a cashier's check to drive the car. The plan was that if I liked how it drove, and it passed my personal mechanical inspection, I would drive it home. Otherwise, it was going to be a ride to the airport, thank you very much, and a disappointing flight home. I ended up driving it home and trying to figure out all the buttons along the way.

It was a great adventure and a wonderful 5 hour drive home!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
Yup! I had to fly to SE Washington to get mine. It was the only one in the state that had the interior color, exterior color , clean car fax, low mileage, history in states that don't salt the roads, blah, blah, blah...

I flew over with a cashier's check to drive the car. The plan was that if I liked how it drove, and it passed my personal mechanical inspection, I would drive it home. Otherwise, it was going to be a ride to the airport, thank you very much, and a disappointing flight home. I ended up driving it home and trying to figure out all the buttons along the way.

It was a great adventure and a wonderful 5 hour drive home!
Congrats!