Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

I think I have a bad wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:11 AM
1st Gear
Default I think I have a bad wheel bearing

2001 A8L I have been chasing down my rrr rrr rrr rrr sound coming from my R/F tire first thought un- even wear on tire, broken belt or something , I rotated the tire to the rear . during the first test about 10 miles i thought it was gone, but no luck it was still there just not as noticable you could say . It eventually got to be about the same, so I'm now back to the wheel bearing issue i just want a few opinions of what guys on the board may think . I bought this car at an Auction a few months ago and don't mind puttin a couple of bucks into it . I happen to be a mechanic but this is my first Audi & all wheel drive car so I'm pretty sure if its the bearing I'll do the job myself but if it requires a special tool for the bearing removal I may just buy the hub assembly with bearing in it The car has high mileage 129000 so at that mileage I would be suprised that it needs bearings and also the fact that it has a set of oem 19" 12 Spoke audi wheels on it

Old 12-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: I think I have a bad wheel bearing

I believe the bearing is press in, and buying a new hub won't come with the bearing.
So your gonna need access to a press, or have the dealer do it for you.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:43 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I think I have a bad wheel bearing

After doing a deep search it seems as though I have a flange mount style bearings installed . My question would I still have to use a press on this style .the car is a 2001 A8L > I check Blau Parts and this is what Ive seen
http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....od=F7W1011%2DG
tell me what you think