AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   iPod & A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/ipod-a8-124035/)

mafpolo 01-28-2009 09:45 PM

iPod & A8

I looked on Audi's web site to see if Audi has a hook-up. I found the following:

"iPod Cable for AMI
Item Number: 4F0051510E
iPod cable to integrate Audi Music Interface (AMI) with your iPod. The main iPod menu will be displayed in the Multi-Media Interface (MMI) screen. The central control knob on the MMI panel, or the multi-function steering wheel controls, may be used to easily navigate through playlists, albums and artists.

Compatible with vehicles 2008 and older with AMI "

Does the above cable work with a 2005 A8?
If yes...it is easy to install?
If no, who makes an aftermarket plug in that works well.

I don't want to go the way of the FM transmitter type, as they sound like s*&t

Thanks

auditech79 01-31-2009 11:15 PM

Yes it works on an 05, and it works very well. But no, its extremely hard to install without specific technical knowledge of the A8's electrical systems.

I don't know of any other cable that is compatible with the A8 besides the factory one, but i could be wrong.

Y2K_A8_in_WI 02-04-2009 05:51 PM

GROM audio offers solutions for ipod connectivity. For my 2000 A8, GROM makes a device that transfers to the CD Changer input and allows me to control playlists (up to six) as if they were CD's (I would have to disconnect my trunk-mounted changer for this feature). The 2005 model likely has a solution as well.

mafpolo 02-08-2009 08:28 AM

Can the dealer do this?

Originally Posted by auditech79 (Post 1034487)
Yes it works on an 05, and it works very well. But no, its extremely hard to install without specific technical knowledge of the A8's electrical systems.

I don't know of any other cable that is compatible with the A8 besides the factory one, but i could be wrong.

Is this something the dealer can do? How many hours do you think that the job would take?

auditech79 02-08-2009 11:54 PM

Yes the dealer can do it, probably 2-2.5 hours of labor.

kwathom1 02-23-2009 02:32 AM

Re: iPod & A8 Reply to Thread

I am new so please bear with me if I unintentionally ask questions that have already been asked or answered. Do you need a new AMI unit or the ipod cable (4F0051510E) is all that is needed to hook up to existing 6-CD changer with Nav/XM sat factory installed radio? Thanks!

auditech79 02-23-2009 04:44 PM

I don't recognize that part number, i would check with the dealer because there have been a lot of scams online about modules that you don't need. If someone online tells you that you need a control module and tries to sell it to you DON'T DO IT! Check with the dealer.

kwathom1 02-24-2009 07:49 AM

Have the same issue. I want to retrofit my 2005 A8L with factory installed NAV/6CD/XM SAT/Bluetooth and MMI with a back-up camera and ipod interface, but having problems finding a kit/parts for intended project. I checked with GROMAUDIO after reading a post on the forum but I was informed by GROMAUDIO their interface wouldm't work with 2005 A8L with MMI - so I am back to square one! Any Ideas?