AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Just Bought A 2002 A8 L (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/just-bought-2002-a8-l-131880/)

Willrwilli 05-13-2009 11:34 PM

Just Bought A 2002 A8 L

1 Attachment(s)
I have a ton of questions, and mild issues so here we go. First the mild issues. The car has 89000 miles on it.

The cruise control works funny. The only time it works is if I turn it on, slide the switch towards the off switch and then push the set button, and it works. The resume function does not work, and if I accelerate and release the gas pedal it does not pick up the previous speed.

Small leak: It seems like every other day I have a small puddle under the car. It is strange because by the end of a hot day the puddle has evaporated. I have taken it into the shop twice, and of course they could not find anything. Last night I put a pan under the car, and it looks like a small amount of Trans fluid. It is a pinkish red color. Could this be a simple gasket around the drain plug?

The rear sunshade does not go up. The motor runs, and it looks like a little black plastic arm pops out, but that is it.

Okay now the fun stuff. I have both an Ipod, and XM radio and I am thinking about the buying the USA Spec ipod integration system because it has an auxillary input. I figure I should be able to run the Ipod and XM radio through this. Does anyone know of any other Ipod integration device that will do this?

Well I think that is everything. As with any used car I know you have to always work out some bugs. But so far this is a great car. I get compliments everywhere I go in it. I have had a Lexus in the past but I chose to go Audi this time because of the Quattro system, and because there are less A8's out there. I thinks that alone gets the A8 more attention.

DÌEGØs AÜD!CTIØN 05-13-2009 11:55 PM

i think i might be able to help with the 'small puddle' thing
are you sure its not just condensation (water)from the AC???
my a4 does this but its just water....
but then again its not pink lookin or whatever!!!

Willrwilli 05-14-2009 12:13 AM

That's what I thought at first, but I think it may be the gasket aroung the drain plug. Or at least that is my first quess.

Jackmup 05-14-2009 01:12 AM

I guess you bought a girl car, sorry bout your luck.

The red spot is coolant you have a leak. After it cools remove the cap from the resevoir you should hear air escape because the system is pressurized, if not you have a leak. your water pump, hoses, radiator, there is also a tube in the back of the motor that could leak. run it then remove the belly pan and have a looky. DO NOT USE JUST ANY COOLANT you need G12. Add water for now. You can get it from audi or online at blauparts.com or ecstuning.com.

If it looks like coolant and smells like coolant... don't taste it.

Your trans does not have red fluid(I hope) because Audi fluid is clear but yours will be brown by now. You should get under there and check for leaks and get them all taken car of asap.

Before you blow your money on upgrading the already awesome stereo. You had better get cracking on the maintenance. Timing belt and friends. They offer kits at the above two sites. Your t-belt is probably due and that's why the owner was selling it.

Willrwilli 05-14-2009 08:43 AM

Thanks for the advice, it is frustrating because I have taken it to the shop twice, and even after they did a pressure check they did not see a leak, but 2 days later I have a leak in the drive. This morning the driveway was dry. I thought I had until 105K for the timing belt. I am just curious but I am still going to have it done asap.

auditech79 05-14-2009 11:33 AM

Audi changed that recommendation to 80k because of snapped timing belts before 105k. I would have it changed asap along with the water pump, thermostat, rollers, tensioners, and serpintine belt. It could be you're water pump thats leaking only when its cold, thats why it will leave a small puddle under the car in the morning sometimes. The leak will seal up when the engine gets hot because the gasket and metal expands filling the gap, thats what happens on one of my work trucks, im too lazy to fix it and i just top it off. You on the other hand don't have that option with an audi.

auditech79 05-14-2009 11:34 AM

Oh, and very nice car by the way.

Willrwilli 05-14-2009 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79 (Post 1085783)
Audi changed that recommendation to 80k because of snapped timing belts before 105k. I would have it changed asap along with the water pump, thermostat, rollers, tensioners, and serpintine belt. It could be you're water pump thats leaking only when its cold, thats why it will leave a small puddle under the car in the morning sometimes. The leak will seal up when the engine gets hot because the gasket and metal expands filling the gap, thats what happens on one of my work trucks, im too lazy to fix it and i just top it off. You on the other hand don't have that option with an audi.

Wow that kind of sucks. My rational for buying a car with less than 100K was to buy some time before having to do the dreaded timing belt. Oh well I have an appointment on Monday to have the leak checked out. I will ask for a price. The dealer charges $150.00 an hour, and this ship charges $90.00. At $90.00 an hour labor about how much am I looking at for the timing belt, and all the other goodies that need to be changed?

auditech79 05-15-2009 10:57 AM

$150 is more than we charged! Thats rediculous, that would cost around $3,400 at the dealer with that labor rate.

With $90 per hour, i would say you are looking at $2,200, depending on what the price of the parts are, could be less.

bshannon1 06-08-2009 08:33 AM

Leak

I have a similar leak and it was a stuck thermostat and overflow of the system. hard to detect only when it over heats and the dash warning light will be on intermittently.

Also had the same sunshade problem, the arm was broken and need to replace the assembly. Pretty expensive, $1300 for the work from Audi dealer.