Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Looking at a 96 4.2 with 180k...advice pls!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Default Looking at a 96 4.2 with 180k...advice pls!

Hello,

Posting from Ireland here and I guess that my problems are universal - currently looking at a 96 4.2 Quattro with 180k (miles) I am in Ireland and the price is right - 3900 euros or about 2500 sterling. The car has Audi stamped history up to 80k, nothing since. I am wondering what the symptoms of the dreaded gearbox problem are? I have tested the box by holding my foot on the brake and changing from reverse to drive - no unusual noises and the gear shifts promptly. When driving along at say 30-50 it stays in gear. Is this a 5 speed gearbox? When you shift over into tiptronic mode at say 60mph, should the box change down a gear into 4th? Is it possible to shift into 5th when in tiptronic?

The bodywork seems completely straight and true, not a single kink on any panel - just a few honest stonechips. There is some corrosion around the ariel, is this normal? Also, is the ariel electric because if so it does not seem to be working - expensive fix?

The front seat armrests are missing, but the chrome stand which held them in place is still there - easily replaced?

The other usual problems are all there, glovebox wont open (maybe the history is in there!!), front headrests dont work and the button on the dash which lowers the rear headrests (im presuming that's what it does) also non functional. Electric steering column goes up and down but not in and out - is there an easy fix? Aircon never gets cold and the display for the left hand side is blank.

Final question - when going round a roundabout I noticed the steering had a strange 'pulsing' sensation as if it was trying to self center - is this something to worry about or just a 'feature' of the servotronic?

On the plus side the car goes like stink and there is no smoke from the exhausts. Are there any easy tests to check condition of the engine?

I realise I'm painting a picture of a completely knackered car here but it's not that bad really. It's exceptionally clean inside and out but more importantly there's a little voice in my head telling me to buy it. So, sorry for the long post and feel free to be devils advocate here.

Many thanks,

Pearse.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Looking at a 96 4.2 with 180k...advice pls!

3900 euro is about 5400 bucks from what my conversion table tells me which isn't a really bad price at all. If the gear box is shifting promptly and goes into reverse ok i would say the transmission is in good working order, i would get the fluid changed in it first thing though.
As for the gear dropping to 4th its just "gear hunting" meaning its looking for the best gear to be in at a certain RPM, its completely normal. Its a 5 speed gearbox BTW and you can only engage 5th if your over 50mph in Tip mode.
The timing belt is the other thing you have to make sure was done recently because if it hasn't its definately due, have a local shop check the T belt because that can be a very costly repair.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:43 PM

Hello again, and thanks for the reply, even though it's taken me about a year to get back to you.

I eventually bought the above car. It has covered less than 400 miles in the past year and has not turned a wheel in the past 6 months. I picked it up for a song and am now setting about having it fully serviced. First on the agenda is the timing belt and water pump. I also intend having the gearbox fluid changed. My question however is this; as my car is the first generation 4.2 with the older 32v engine (1995 my), does it not also have a 4 speed gearbox? It most defiantly does not seem to ever change into 5th gear, and on the dis display, there is no mention of 5th when you shift over to tiptronic mode. You can only ever change it up to 4th and there it stays. Not that it makes much difference but I am told that if the gearbox has gotten this far without any problems, then changing the fluid at this stage may well cause more harm than good, what would your opinion be on this? Many thanks,

Pearse.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Site Moderator

Absolutely not, changing the fluid is always a good idea. However, if someone without training services the transmission on an A8 (aka indy shop) then you can cause more harm then good. There is a specific procedure for replacing the fluid which requires a scan tool to monitor the tranny temp, the special fill tool, and tools to drain the fluid and change the filter. If you do have the tranny serviced only let the dealer take care of that for you. The timing belt/water pump can be serviced by a good euro shop.
You should have a 4 speed transmission as far as i know.