Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Looking to buy an A8 help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Looking to buy an A8 help please

In the market for an A8, had an A6 4.2 few yrs ago and now want to upgrade. Looking to spend around 20K and would like one with no more than 60K that's not unrealistic is it? Been looking on these sites for major issues etc any pointers you may have for me is greatly appreciated. I've read that it gets good gas mileage, I drive 20 miles to work mainly highway, what should I expect for mileage? Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear

Not sure what you consider "good" gas mileage. Maybe better than other cars of this size and power, but I always considered mpg a trade out for how much I love driving my A8 ('01). My commute is half/half hwy/city and I average around 19mpg...sometimes a little less. All city is much less...best highway ever was 25, on a light-footed long drive. Audi says 17 & 24...about the same for later models. Anyone saying (and I've heard it before) that they get in the low 30's is "mistaken", lying, dreaming or checked their mileage by coasting down a 35 mile hill.

Your budget and miles goal puts you around the Kelly private party price of a 2004 w/50K miles....just a ball park figure, though. Better and worse deals are out there. Many have said that the '04 models have more problems than before and after that year (?). It was the first full year for the D3 version...first year's sometimes have unresolved new issues (?). I've heard just as much good as bad on this year. Here's thread discussing that issue:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=133635

You might want to shop for a good deal on an '05, if first year syndrome worries you OR look for a pristine low miles '03 D2 and have a "repair if needed" budget left over. Read all the forums for comments on maintenance and year model opinions. Take your time shopping and don't jump on the first offer you see.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

During pure highway driving I get between 24-26 mpg. I'm quite sure I could do better if I could restrain myself to 65mph ... but that's a different topic altogether. The D3 does seem to get about 2 mpg better mileage than my old '97 D2 did. In mixed / spirited driving that figure quickly drops, though. I definitely get less than 20mpg in suburban driving, but I drive mainly with ESP off and often in S(port) mode.

IMO the best deal on a D3 A8 is a car that has more than 75K miles on it, and has been completely serviced. That means things like the timing belt/water pump service have been performed, hopefully the coilpack recall has been performed, trunk hinges have been replaced, it's on its second set of pads/rotors, new tires, etc. To me a slightly higher, well maintained A8 is a far better deal than a low mileage car that has been neglected, and for which the major service items still need to be performed.

l8r)

Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

Wow Silverd2, you must have a really heavy foot! I think I have a pretty heavy foot and I constantly get around 22-23 on my highway commute with an 01 40 valve.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mongo18
Wow Silverd2, you must have a really heavy foot! I think I have a pretty heavy foot and I constantly get around 22-23 on my highway commute with an 01 40 valve.

No,no..you musta read my figures wrong...my commute is just HALF highway, and then miles of traffic lights.
If I get stuck just runnin errands around town, it can go as low as 15-16. But, highway only, I always get 23-24 easy.
Last time I checked it the old fashioned way (fill-up to fill-up...not the readout) on all highway, drivin down to Hilton Head, I got 24.3. And that was averaging 80-90mph...even edged up to 105 for a bit (without noticing at first) followin an old guy in a Buick (my radar shield). That was at about 95k miles with all original O2 sensors...I was impressed, considering.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM
2nd Gear

P.S. The "highway" portion of my commute is not "freeway". It's a 2 lane state road through the foothills...all curves and a couple of hairpins.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 PM

I haven't bought my A8 yet, but I assume an average of 20 mpg would be had, and I truly expect not much more around town. My BMW 7 gets 21 according to the onboard mpg calculator (if you can believe the calculation) - but gas mileage is at the bottom of my list regarding my priorities on these cars, or else I'd be looking at Prius's.