AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Maintenance Issues and Questions (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/maintenance-issues-questions-128185/)

Grrr 03-21-2009 12:17 PM

Maintenance Issues and Questions

Hello everybody!

First off, let me start off by saying I'm great with computers -- not so great with cars. With that said, I'm having a few issues and want to move forward with a plan to get my A8 fixed. Here's the specs:

Model: A8L
Year: 2004
Engine: V8 4.2L
Miles: 79,000
Issue: Car violenty vibrates when acceleration is applied

When I take the car out of park and accelerate the car begins to vibrate. I noticed the higher the speed I get the lower the vibration. Could this be a spark plug issue? I didn't get my spark plugs replaced at 60,000 and is planning to do so next weekend. So that leads me to ask, what are the best spark plugs for performance and fuel efficiency and how many will I need? Does anyone know of a place here in Baltimore, MD that could perform this? If so, how much will it cost? Additionally, I'm trying to get my timing belt inspectiong ($70-75,000) replaced and contacted the local Audi dealership and was told $2400! Once again, is there a place central to me that would do it for much less and be Audi certified? I hope this gets answered for myself and any other non-technical people that run into the same problem...

Thanks room! :)

Grrr

auditech79 03-22-2009 08:14 PM

You most likely have a misfire fault stored, and its going to be a faulty coil ignition pack most likely. You would need to have the faults scanned to confirm this however.
$2,400 is a little high for the timing belt job, but that most likely includes a water pump, thermostat, rollers, and tensioners, which you will need to do at the timing belt change.
If you have all of these parts changed at a euro shop you are looking at 8+ hours of labor times whatever the rate is plus parts. You can save some money on parts buy buying a kit online from www.ecstuning.com or www.purems.com. Then have the shop install it for you. Somewhere in the vicinity of $1,500 should do it.

Grrr 03-23-2009 01:02 AM

Auditech79,

Appreciate your reponse. I currently lease the vehicle, would this be covered by the warranty? Please educare me on my situation. Does the spark plug sit in this ignition coil? The car still runs with heavy vibration. Is it safe for me to drive it until I get it fixed? Thanks again!

Grrr

auditech79 03-24-2009 07:41 PM

A misfire will be covered under warranty, but the timing belt will not.
The coil pack sits on top of the spark plug hence the name COP (coil on plug) design. You have to remove each coil to get at the spark plugs, although most spark plug problems won't cause a misfire or engine vibration because the ignition coils are so powerful. If its bad enough to feel while you are driving you probably have a dead cylinder from a failed coil and this can severly damage your engine and cat conveter if this is the case. So i would recommend on NOT driving it and having it towed to the shop until they can figure out whats wrong.