Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

My A8L with new 20's

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Default My A8L with new 20's

hey guys just put my new wheels on this weekend.

what do you guys think? Opinion welcome....

Asanti 20in wheels (staggered)
Tires: 255 /35 /20

I drive the BMW 745LI
Wifey drives the A8L

Attached Thumbnails My A8L with new 20's-imag0086.jpg   My A8L with new 20's-imag0116.jpg  

Last edited by jalen26; 09-07-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Site Moderator

Not my flavor, but the right size for the car. How much wider are the rear wheels than the fronts if they're staggered? You can't be running the same tire size with a staggered wheel set up are you?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:25 PM
1st Gear
Default wheelsssss

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

niceeeeeeeeee

Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Not my flavor, but the right size for the car. How much wider are the rear wheels than the fronts if they're staggered? You can't be running the same tire size with a staggered wheel set up are you?

Yeah, I question that too. The same size tire on a different width rim has different handling characteristics...more side roll on a narrower rim and maybe even a hair different diameter. Plus, in general, unless specifically engineered for it, AWD should have the same size on all 4 corners. Bigger on the rear may look cool, but may actually impede balanced handling....not to mention drive train load distribution, if a different diameter.
But, again, even when staggered wheels are called for, the rear tires need to be a different size. Staggering actually serves a real purpose on a lot of high powered RWD cars, like past P-928's I've owned...different tires required on front than rear always, though.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Did you get TPMS installed with them and if so how much did they cost total for tires rims and TPMS? or did you just disable it via vag-com?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 AM

I dont know much about wheels but he said they back wheels were just slightly wider, I honestly can tell the difference. He wanted to put a 245 instead of 255 tire in the front. I asked him if it would be a problem if I kept the 255 tire all the way around for rotating purposes. He said it would not be a problem. She drives real nice can tell I have 20's on it.

Did you get TPMS installed with them and if so how much did they cost total for tires rims and TPMS? or did you just disable it via vag-com?
They swapped the TPMS from old wheels and placed them on the new ones. I did get an error, but I turned the TPMS off in the MMI. I know I definitely need to get the VAG-COM tool.

Plus, in general, unless specifically engineered for it, AWD should have the same size on all 4 corners.
This didnt know this but I knew all tires were the same size when I bought the car, so I wanted to stay that way.

Thanks for the reples guys. keepin comin. By the way this is wifeys car

Old 09-07-2010, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

Truly no offense intended, but just one more question...and it IS rhetorical:

You knowingly bought staggered rims, with the intention of rotating back to front ??!!

If you're happy, I'm happy ...it doesn't affect me, except to make me scratch my head and it's already getting a little thin up there

Old 09-07-2010, 06:40 PM

You knowingly bought staggered rims, with the intention of rotating back to front ??!!
Hey silver no offense taken. The guy at the wheel shop said that they unmount the tires from the rim and then rotate the tires. That's why I was unsure of the staggered but when he said the tires could still be rotated I was good.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Site Moderator

LOL, the point of a staggered wheel set up is so give more traction to the rear wheels (on a RWD car) and they CANNOT be rotated, its a very expensive way to roll around replacing tires every 40k. I would see if you could bolt up the wheels to the BMW, because at least thats RWD and it would like fine on it, hopefully its the same bolt pattern.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear

Well it sounds as if someone will be putting the square peg in the round hole.

If the diameter is all the same your good to go with your AWD if not well then.... your drive train is going to feel the pain. You should grab a tape measure and wrap the tires.