Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

New 2012 A8L - horrible creaking and rattling noise...help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 AM
1st Gear
Default New 2012 A8L - horrible creaking and rattling noise...help?

Hi All - new to the forum.
Own a 2012 Loaded A8L and after 2 months of driving it - I decided to sign up for this forum.
Love the car - but have the most ANNOYING creaks, rattles, and what sounds clicking noises coming from the right of the dashboard.
Even minor bumps produce this. I was going to wait to bring it in when going for the first scheduled oil change - but this is just a bit too annoying to wait.
I don't know what to say - its very frustrating. Please - does anyone have this problem with theirs? Solutions besides "take it to the dealer"?

I fear - if this can't be fixed - I am going to hate the car. All my friends that come in the car ask "hey do you hear that creaking noise? Is that normal? Is there something in the glovebox or something?"

Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

Well I suspect there are probably few, if any, other 2012 owners in this forum. But I'm sure anybody else here is going to tell you to take it back to the dealer and do not accept it back until it is 100% fixed. If you're going to pay that kind of money for a car it should be completely problem free for a good long time.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Administrator

^^^ agreed 100%. you spent a boatload of money on a brand new flagship sedan and have every right to expect it to be free of this kind of garbage.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning. Thanks guys!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

For what it is worth, I have been in and driven many 2012 A8's, there should be no rattle! Glad you are taking it in to be looked at. Congrats, it is an amazing car.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy A8 4.2l

I have exactly the same problem, My car has been back twice about a loud rattle from the same area and it's still a problem.
the car is going back in January and if it hasn't been attended to I'm going to purchase something else.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mr Ping
I have exactly the same problem, My car has been back twice about a loud rattle from the same area and it's still a problem.
the car is going back in January and if it hasn't been attended to I'm going to purchase something else.
It is a rattle, crickity sound no? Over smooth and rough roads, same noise.

From the dealer on November 28:

Hi I'm sorry this is happening to you and we are here to make sure this is
resolved I will call you tomorrow with an appointment date and a loaner
confirmation.

John Irizarry
Audi Exclusive Service Advisor
629 W 54th Street
New York, N.Y. 10019
Direct - 212-515-8242
Fax - 212-515-8268
john.irizarry@openroad.com

I've not received this call. I'll give them a call Monday morning to find out what the deal is. They also have to check now my rear seat driver's side. I have the power seat feature and the noise coming from the seat is ridiculous. Doesn't happen on the passenger side rear seat.

Lastly, they ommitted a rear backup camera because of the japanese earthquake. They were supposed to install it for us when they came in. I've not yet heard anything back from them except "it isn't in yet".

Not the best experience so far, our first Audi and all.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

If I were you I would go back to the dealer Monday morning bright and early. Drop the keys at the service area, tell them to fix it and demand your courtesy loaner which should be something luxurious enough to compensate for your troubles. I'm surprised they would do that in manhattan. Felt like they would treat their customers better there

Old 12-02-2011, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

Well, lets see if he calls me and schedules the loaner.
I do get an Audi A8L as a loaner so its a good deal there.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE:

After much back and forth - no / bad communication, and absolutely no progress (everything from having the service adviser confirm he understood the three problems needing addressing, to the ability to obtain an A8L Loaner which was promised to us at the time we signed for the vehicle).

Spoke with the salesman who sold me the Audi. He had a word with the service adviser - and all is now set. I will bring the car in tomorrow to Audi Manhattan.

Thoughts on something though - our Audi had the back up camera omitted due to it not being available from the earthquake in Japan. We bought the car in September. It is now almost the middle of December - and we have done with out it. Should we request some form of monetary or service or barter in return? Essentially, we paid for this item - but went 3 months without it. Worth saying anything?

I will let you know what happens.

Just to confirm the issues:

a) Rattle in glovebox that does not stop. Rattle / Creak / Cricket sound.

b) Back Seat driver side - when you manually adjust the seat - a hissing, popping, wheezing sound can be heard quite clearly.

c) Install Back Up Camera

Quick Reply: New 2012 A8L - horrible creaking and rattling noise...help?