Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

New A8 D2 owner with suspension and oil leak Q´s

Old 01-16-2014, 06:10 AM
1st Gear
Default New A8 D2 owner with suspension and oil leak Q´s

Hello !

New on this forum Just bought an 1999b (facelift) Audi A8 2.8 30v FWD in really nice condition with 127k miles. Tranny have been flushed twice according to recipts and looks and runs really good, just did a 700 mil roundtrip with a 35mpg average, I was a bit impressed !.

Anyways, I have some issues that I´m planning on addressing, first one is that the previous owner mounted FK coilovers. These would have been fine if the car wasn´t so long, It scrapes on everything here.. and in normal Swedish winter conditions there are alot of snow and icebears that get caught in the grille.

So... I´ve managed to get ahold of a set of brand new Suplex stock springs and Meyle OEM shocks that I´m about to mount.. I also have some creaks and clonkgs so I think it´s time to do the shock mounts and control arms, thinking either Mapco or Meyle HD $200 differance almost tho. I don´t drive that much, so mapco would prob last long enough.

I have some questions regarding the use of spring compressor. I´ve seen a couple of guides where they use regular cheap kind of compressors, but these seem to foul the bodywork and not give good access.. Have anyone completed the rear swap with one of these ?

Also.. Anyone who have an idea on best / cheapest way to replace the bushings in the back ? Does not seem to be any kits availible.

Oil Leaks... I have some seepage on the passenger side , it looks like it comes somewhere from the right side of the engine (2.8 30V).. I tried to clean up but it looks like there is oil almost everywhere.. So I´m suspecting the front axle ? CV-boot ? Looks new and whole but maybe seeps when hot.

Thanks for you time reading this.