AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   New Audi A8L Owner Here...Few Maintenance Questions (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/new-audi-a8l-owner-here-few-maintenance-questions-151650/)

donconsolmagno 06-07-2010 07:44 PM

New Audi A8L Owner Here...Few Maintenance Questions

Hey guys, I'd like to say I appreciate all the information I have gathered from this forum already. I just found this forum the other day when searching for information on my new car. I currently own a 1999 Audi A6 but will be upgrading to a 2004 Audi A8L tommorrow or the following day, depending on when I can get to the dealership to do all the paperwork before they close and they can verify that the timing belt was replaced on the car.

I had a few questions about the Audi A8L...

I was wondering if you guys use the official Audi oil filter when you change the oil. On my A6, I usually try to use the Audi/VW one, but the dealership is a half hour away from me, whereas there are Napa, Pep Boys and an Auto Zone all down the street so sometimes I grab one of them if I'm lazy. Do you think it really would make a difference, or what is your recommendation on the matter.

Also, how often do you change the oil in a A8L? What is the general consensus here, I did it in the A6 about every 10,000 but my mechanic keeps telling me not to wait that long, but from what I've heard, using synthetic on an Audi should ensure you are good for 8,000 - 12,000.

What kind of oil do you usually use in the A8L, also what brand?

I will also be changing the air filter in the car upon acquiring it, any brand anyone recommend for this?

I have not gotten familiar with the Audi MMI/Navigation yet, but I have heard some things about upgrading it. As a guy that works in the IT field, I like to keep as many updates on my hardware/software as possible and is there a way to upgrade the firmware in these?

That's all for now...Thanks for your help!

rhodesdf 06-07-2010 10:01 PM

A8 Maintenance

I just traded my A6 (2004) for an A8 (2009) and I pick it up Friday. The car has 8,000 miles and was used as a dealer loaner

I canot answer all your questions, but I can say what I would do.
Change the oil every 7,500 to 10,000 miles.
Use Mobil One
Stay with the Audi filter. If the dealer is a long way, buy 2 or 3 at a time.

Good luck and enjoy the A8. I cannot wait to pick mine up
Derek (Boston)

ludikraut 06-08-2010 01:55 AM

Definitely get the oil filter for the A8 from the dealer and have your VIN number handy. On the 2004 model, there are two different filters, depending on when the car was made. I posted a how-to for the oil-change here. I use Castrol fully synthetic oil, but whatever brand you use, just make sure it's full synthetic oil (0W30, 5W30, 5W40). You'll need about 9 quarts worth. With that much oil capacity, you could probably push a 15K oil change, but I like to keep mine around 10K apart. Less if you drive the car hard.

l8r)