AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   New D2 owner, (potentially) few questions. (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/new-d2-owner-potentially-few-questions-155278/)

Checkmate 08-19-2010 09:22 PM

New D2 owner, (potentially) few questions.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2000 A8 4.2L from a private seller.

It's at his Mechanic, it's been sitting for about 6 months. Basically the fuel pump went out, and his wife doesnt want to spend the $1,000.00 for the new one.

Talked with the mech, and the car ran fine prior to the pump going out. New sparks, belt, filter etc.

I'm wondering if its worth the $4000 price? Any advice is welcome. I have the VIN, and mileage, etc if that would help anyone with advice. Thanks

silverd2 08-19-2010 11:15 PM

Yes, need mileage for sure...BUT also needs to be running, pump replaced. That car (running), at 150K, for instance, isn't worth much more than 4K$ in very good running (and otherwise) condition....and that's just a general Kelly private party value (NOT what I would pay).

If you're in any inspection state, there's no telling what needs doing to be passed.

I say, needs to be drivable, codes read (if any) and a general inspection (plus Carfax?) to be worth 4K$, maybe...if mileage isn't excessive.

Adding the price of pump replacement, the cost is too high anyway...unless it's in true mint shape and miles are REALLY low...maybe. And 6 months without being driven is a little scary...6 months sitting can hurt some cars worse than 6 months of hard drivin.

I wouldn't touch it, even cheaper, on a "promise" that the pump is the only problem.

Jackmup 08-20-2010 07:22 PM

Trust me if they can't afford the fuel pump then that car is loaded with problems.

You also need receipts for the maintenance.

when was the following done last;

Timing belt, water pump, thermostat and all of the rollers (due every 80K)

Valve cover gaskets, etc... the gaskets start to leak oil on the Exhaust manifold

ALL Vacuum lines (easy fix)

Transmission service, (It's not a typical easy job like on American cars)

Water pipe that rots and leaks behind the motor. (Oh what fun that one is)

CV joints serviced or at least looked at.

Control arms replaced

I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything but I like wrenching on it and it's up to date on service with 150K.

If you can't do the mechanical work yourself get ready to drop at least 5-7K into that car. I spent about 2-3K on parts on mine so far in the last year. It was for maintenance and some minor repairs.

auditech79 08-21-2010 01:53 AM

I concur with all of the above posts, 4k is a good price if he can produce all the service history and its in good working order. You're about to open pandora's box, and pandoras' a bitch.

Checkmate 08-21-2010 06:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback, your input is greatly appreciated.

The car has 180k by the way.

I'm definitely not interested in stepping into a pile of crap. I'm a student, and I simply dont have the money, or time, for an expensive project car at this point...no way.

I was actually wrong re the price, he's asking $3k for it. Still don't really want to spend $1k on a pump, not if a used one is a viable option. I'm just not sure that it is, I don't know anything about fuel pumps.

I've offered him $2,800.00 at this point, and thats solely based on what I've gathered from him and the mechanic at this point. All I've been able to do was sit in the car.

I'd like to give it a charge, but I don't know what to look for once the vehicle has power? What are some evident red flags? Or do you guys just suggest that I pass, altogether?

silverd2 08-21-2010 08:23 AM

180K is not just a little high. Another forum member recently bought the same year and mileage in great running condition, trans working well and basically mint for $2700 and put $750 in it to pass state inspection...he got a pretty good deal, if he gets a year or 2 out of it.

Besides other possible issues, 18OK is the upper end of the expected life of the transmission in that car. If there's not solid proof that it's been replaced or rebuilt (not just atf/filter service), it's on borrowed time...and it's not even running.

Even doing all my own work, I wouldn't touch it as described, even for $2800...too many unknowns.

Pandora indeed.

Mongo18 08-21-2010 10:24 AM

If you're a student with no time or money, then you probably shouldn't be buying a high mileage A8 at all. I'm a student with not much time and very little money, but when push comes to shove I have the tools and the know-how to fix a lot of things myself, if you're not in this boat then I'd suggest you wait until after graduation when you can afford somebody to fix it for you.