AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   New member: Could use your opinions (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/new-member-could-use-your-opinions-145933/)

Soundchasr 02-14-2010 12:37 AM

New member: Could use your opinions

Hi all:

I currently drive a 745Li but I'm about to buy a CPO 2008 A8 (if I can find a good deal). I just can't decide between the A8 or A8L. Part of the reason is I haven't ever seen them side by side. What are your impressions of each as far as looks? Is handling that much different between the two?

Thanks!

auditech79 02-14-2010 12:36 PM

The short wheel base model is a bit lighter and has a better turn radius, they both handle the corners better than you would think of such a large sedan. The body and frames of both cars are all aluminum so they are both still light for their size. I personally like the standard A8 wheelbase because i think its just the right size, the A8L is like a personal limo with enough room to fit SHAQ in the back seat.

Soundchasr 02-14-2010 12:43 PM

So, if you could get a 2007 S8 or a 2008 A8, which would you get? The S8 is about $5-6 more. I don't know much about the S8 options other than the fact that it will get bad gas mileage. :rolleyes: My only concern with a 2007 car is that warranty will run out before my 4 year loan is paid off. I hate being off warranty.

Maximos 02-14-2010 10:04 PM

That depends on what kind of driver you are... do you prefer sport or luxury? Do you want something with a firmer, lower suspension and 100 extra horses, or do you desire a refined, well-mannered driving experience? I know that if I could afford it, I would go for the S8, but it all comes down to preference.

Soundchasr 02-14-2010 10:26 PM

I want luxurious and freakin fast! :D I like a car with a lot of low end torque.

I hate owning a car after the warranty runs out that's why I was avoiding a 2007. But, what the heck. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:
What's a brake job cost on one of these things? My bimmer was $750 an axle. I'm so glad I had the maintenance warranty!

auditech79 02-15-2010 12:41 AM

Well if you're worried about repairs an S8 is definately NOT something you want out of warranty. Its amazingly hard to work on, and the parts are uber expensive. Its packing a Lambroghini designed V10 (same as gallardo) but with the luxury of an A8. The wood trim is traded out for carbon fiber and it has suede leather inserts in the seats. They usually come with the upgraded bang and olfsen sound system ($6,000 option) navigation, parking camera, and sensors standard. Other than that its pretty much an A8 on steriods.

Soundchasr 02-15-2010 09:24 AM

Thanks auditech79. That's great advice. I'll avoid the S8 unless I can get a warranty for the life of my loan/ownership of the car. Are there generally warranties that can be purchased after CPO runs out?

I told two dealers where I need to be in an S8. They probably won't get to where I need to be but it's worth a shot. If not, I'll go back to the A8 or A8L. Still haven't decided between the A8 or A8L. :rolleyes:

AWDaholic 02-15-2010 01:26 PM

If you want luxury AND power, you could always chip you a SWB A8. 30-50 more hp, agile, and luxury enuff for a Caliphate.

Soundchasr 02-15-2010 05:21 PM

Wait what is a SWB A8? Chip? :confused:

Brozee 02-15-2010 06:39 PM

Basically a engine chip to increase performance. If you want a sports car get a small racing sedan like an S4, if you want a full on luxury car buy the A8. The A8 is going to be the closest mix between the two or even an A6. You can't really get a car that's amazing in both categories without paying up the butt for it.