AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   New member with a problem (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/new-member-problem-20140/)

daywalker5000 11-21-2005 03:39 AM

New member with a problem

whats up fellas? i bought this 97 audi a8 4.2 6 months ago and now the tranny makes a clicking sound when i accelerate,even a little bit.anybody got any ideas what i should check for first or heard of this problem?its a 97 without the tiptronic tranny 4.2 quattro. hope i dont need a new tranny. thanx

dan908 11-21-2005 03:44 AM

RE: New member with a problem

They have these little metal plates that protect everything from something. There is one that is forever getting on the driveshaft and makes a rubbing or clicking or grinding.
I would check those first. Or take it to Audi, for 40 dollars they will test drive, find it, and bend it back out if that is the problem.

daywalker5000 11-21-2005 03:50 AM

the driveshaft for the rear? im about to pull it in my garage and check right now its 11pm here . damn i should already have it in the garage huh??
thanx for your help ill let you know

dan908 11-21-2005 04:48 AM

There are like 5 of these little protector plates. Well for the driveshaft. But yeah, the one that goes from the transfer case to the rear. If you want to know what I mean, the brakes are a good example, around the disc brake is a really thin sharp piece that is really close to the disc. No purpose, just to protect something from everything. Same kind of thing. Just a sharp thin piece of metal usually mounted to the body or frame that is really close to the drive shaft. There is one protecting each axle too I believe. The one on the driveshaft is kind of V shaped on the A6 and it is toward the front. I mean the things are a pain to find which one it is. But just look for a rubbed clean spot is what audi told me. They run close anyway, so a little bump from an oil change tech or a rodent (medium speed impact with) or anything and they are rubbing.

daywalker5000 11-21-2005 05:16 AM

thats not it but thanx for the info i found alot of aluminum plates surrounding the driveshaft doesnt look like its them. i took most of em off (13 mm nuts that hold em on)and checked for rubbed marks none looks like about at least 1/2 inch clearance all around it . i bent them anyways to make sure.. maybe its a cv joint goin bad??? only does it when i accelerate or stay at a cetain speed.. if i let off of the gas it goes away? guess ill check it out when i get to work tommorow and what the hell are you doing up so late???

dan908 11-22-2005 02:27 AM

Bummer, those are the easy fix. I always thought they were not worth anything but never wanted to take them off. Any luck on finding what it actually was/ is? CV joint could be but I thought those were more of a grinding and constant? I don't know, with my car as old as it is (mileage) it has started having CV boots go out but I caught them before they burnt up the joints. Could be wheel bearings too I guess but clicking is not exactly a symptom as much as other sounds.

I was up late last night doing Geology for Geotech Engineers homework. Tonight I will be up late doing/ avoiding Structural Steel homework. I was thinking of Ebay as my time waster tonight though.

daywalker5000 12-12-2005 09:41 PM

the noise was a cv joint on the rear axle.my a8 uses cv joints on the rear axle too and one of them is right above a catilytic converter.it gets so hot the grease dries out on them all the time i guess heard it was a really common problem on the a8. i took it apart, greased it up with some hitemp molydilithium grease and its quiet as hell again. thanx for the help though