AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Newbie A8 Questions (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/newbie-a8-questions-16737/)

Moscow Wolf 09-20-2005 05:10 PM

Newbie A8 Questions

Sorry Guys and Gals, but I'm probably going to have a lot of stupid questions, but its not intentional. I'm an Englishman living in Moscow, Russia and have just recently bought an Audi 8 4.2, she is a 99 model just coming up to a 100,000 Kms and I love her, but she was originally imported from Germany and all the documentation including the owners handbook are in German which I can't read. So, although I will do a lot of searches on my own I would be grateful for the following information or pointers to where I can find it please: -

1. Can I buy an Englsih Handbook from somewhere for this vehicle or is there a PDF format I can download?

2. I need to change the tires (summer ones) she is currently on Dunlop 225/60 ZR16 98W. My supplier doesn't have them here in Moscow and has suggested Michelin Primacy as a replacement. Has anyone anything against this choice?

3. I thought I was clever enough to change the time on the clock by holding the two buttons down together (and I did), but now it is always 2 hours slow (probably CET) and I can't change it to the correct time! I seem to have a little radio antenna signal next to the time.

4. There are two buttons in the drivers door panel, one is meant to open the trunk (boot for us Brits) which doesn't work and the other is for what?

5. I have no CD Rom for the GPS system, does anyone know if I can get a CD Rom that covers Moscow? I know that software exists for Moscow on handheld GPS

6. I'd like to update the CD (6 disc) changer to something that will play MP3. Can anyone recommend something that is just a straight swop?

7. I was in a Moscow service garage today to change a few blown lightbulbs. The Mechanic said that the reversing lights were not working at all and he would need to take the auto shift console out - a 3 hour job. I said maybe another time. Anyone else expereinced this problem and have a likely solution?

Sorry for all the questions in one go and I will now go off and browse and search and see what I can find myself.

Cheers.

AWDaholic 09-20-2005 05:38 PM

RE: Newbie A8 Questions

^^^Welcome to the Forums, Wolf.
The A8 section is one of the less-populated sections, so your questions won't ALWAYS receive a prompt reply. But, have a little patience. I and a few others sometimes swing by to see in anythings going on.

I've got a couple of them I can answer (sorta), right off the bat. As soon as 5 o'clock rolls around I'll go and see if I can address any others and reply when I get home...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Can I buy an Englsih Handbook from somewhere for this vehicle or is there a PDF format I can download?
***http://www.bentleypublishers.com/

4. There are two buttons in the drivers door panel, one is meant to open the trunk (boot for us Brits) which doesn't work and the other is for what?
***I believe the non-boot button is for the electric antenna, if you have one. I've got a solid antenna, so I'm unable to confirm this, but that's what I think, FWIW.

6. I'd like to update the CD (6 disc) changer to something that will play MP3. Can anyone recommend something that is just a straight swop?
***Search for a "PhatBox" on Ebay. 20/40/80GB HD's available. Plugs directly in to the cd-changer connector in place of your current changer.

Moscow Wolf 09-20-2005 07:17 PM

God, someone that speaks my language! Thanks friend, appreciated. ;)

Moscow Wolf 09-21-2005 01:15 PM

Those links were very useful thank you.

What is your advice about the radio aerial then? Why do you have a solid aerial? I'd prefer to have the electronic retracting one, but I guess that because the winters are so bad here, my experience would be that they would always foul up with dirt etc.

AWDaholic 09-21-2005 03:35 PM

I plan on getting the 20gig phatbox, prolly next month, and upgrade to teh 40 & 80 as finances allow...

Why teh solid antenna? Meh, bought my babee used, like you. It came with teh solid antenna. I thought about getting a retractable one from ebay ($25-$35.00), but it's not a big issue for me, right now. Prolly wwill, eventually. If you're gonna go with a retractabe one you might want to also get a small bottle of graphite or tube of white lithium grease and keep it in your glovebox (sorry, can't remember what wrong-ass'd word you guys use for glovebox...};-). Sooner or later it's gonna stick with those long Muscovite winters, and you sure as heck DON'T wanna use any type of normal oil as a lube...

Forgot to check on teh clock thing, yesterday. I'll do it at lunch and post again...

You might want to ALSO post your questions in teh "General Tech" section: https://www.audiforums.com/forumid_233/tt.htm if you haven't done so, already. The A8 Section is, as I previously mentioned, sporadically visited. Gen Tech get more traffic. Also, if you've got some time to kill, visit the Off Topic section, too: https://www.audiforums.com/forumid_4/tt.htm Given teh paucity of people hangin out in HERE, it's the only other place I get to have any funn...

If you haven't ALREADY committed to buying a manual from BentlyPublishers, I'd recommend also searching on EBay fpr one. Sometimes they crop up, usually cheaper than BP, too!

AWDaholic 09-21-2005 06:03 PM

Wolf,

Another, possibly better place to check for the booklet for your mota is: http://www.erwin-portal.com/ which is a place to get info for Non-USA/Canada VW/AUDI's

FootIntheGrille 09-25-2005 10:18 PM

Was just browsing, thought I'd drop a line. I normally live in the A6 forum, cause thats what I have. Wanted to comment on the 2 buttons. I assume you mean the buttons on inside of the drivers door frame? If its like the A6, the one releases the trunk (boot) and the other will disable the internal motion detection sensor for the cars security system. That way, you can leave something like a pet in the car, and lock it and not have it setoff the car alarm.

To try it, roll down the window, lock the car, stick hand in window and move it, should trigger the alarm. Then unlock, press button, close door, relock and try it again.

You can buy a manual for the car from the dealer. Here in Canada, they cost $80CND.

Hope this helps.

AWDaholic 09-27-2005 12:07 PM

Good lookin out, Foot. Thanks for the correction. How'd you get your foot stuck in the grill, NEway?

FootIntheGrille 09-27-2005 07:30 PM

Foot In the Grille - Expression meaning you are pressing the gas petal so hard and far down, that your fill is in the grille.

QuickA8 09-28-2005 03:44 AM

I guess the only question left is #3 and I believe the answer is that the clock is working off the atomic clock or what ever in germany. I dont know how you can change that but try holding down the two buttons again, then using the arrows.