Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Newbie here - help wanted! Headrests not working.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Newbie here - help wanted! Headrests not working.

So, I've got a '98 A8 4.2 The only thing not working on this thing (apart from the crash if you read my previous post!) is the headrests.

They're all electronic, and both front and rear headrests are not working. When I hit the button to move them up or down, you can hear the motors in the seats actually working, but there is no movement, so it's not a fuse problem. I've had a cursory look at how to get into the seats to take a proper gander, but I think you'd have to be Houdini to get into the workings of the seats.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Newbie here - help wanted! Headrests not working.

The power headrest on the passenger seat of my 99 4.2Q seized up as well, this is a fairly common occurence if they're not "exercised" once in a while. The servomotor inside is moving, but the headrest is not. Talked to a few shops - its pretty complicated to get in there and it will cost upwards of $800 - its annoying, but I just dont give enough of a crap to spend that much. My advice - just let it go.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

www.audipages.com

Old 04-01-2006, 04:13 AM
1st Gear

QuickA8 - thanks for the link - very helpful. However, if you mean that there is any information here refering to headrest fuctionality, I can't find it.

Cheers!

Old 04-20-2006, 06:58 PM

I bought a 2002 A8L with 33k miles on it 6 months ago. I had ~8 problems with it in the first month that I took to the dealer and got fixed under factory warranty (AC drain was plugged and water/condensate was puddling in the cabin (driver's side mat), interior trunk remote switch, nav button broke in console, valve stem broke, tire pressure sensing system defective, etc.).

One that I didn't catch was the driver's side headrest. When I bought it, it was in the perfect position for me. When I tried to adjust it 2 months later, the motor ran but the headrest did not move. The service advisor told me that this is a common problem and is typically caused by the cable disconnecting/breaking. He said usually they can stretch the cable and reconnect it. Now on my third visit for this problem, they took the seat apart and tried to stretch the cable. It didn't work. They put my seat back together and returned the car to me and ordered the part.

On the last visit they fixed it right with the new cable. It has worked fine since. But, like what was mentioned, it probably was an $800 job since I had rental cars for two different days and there was a lot of labor to take the seat apart and reassemble (twice).

Old 04-29-2006, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

I am glad someone else asked. My headrests have the same problems. I can hear them alright. No way I am paying somoen $800 to fix a headrest though. Looks like I will have to put a weekend aside and learn how.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

its really not a bad job. you can do the rear seats in less than an hour. the fronts a little bit different. fronts take about 2 hours a seat. but not bad at all. most of the price is for the adjuster unit itself. the cables usually dont fail its the adjuster.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: steviejayvaughan

its really not a bad job. you can do the rear seats in less than an hour. the fronts a little bit different. fronts take about 2 hours a seat. but not bad at all. most of the price is for the adjuster unit itself. the cables usually dont fail its the adjuster.

Ehh, I don't want to speak for anyone here, but personally with a problem like that I want either an easy fix, or no fix at all. I dont trust myself to do something like that even if I had the parts.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Does anyone have a link to the A8 DIY headrest repair article posted somewhere on the net? Thanks.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 PM

either the motor is working or not ( fuses/relays/wiring ) nothing to do with a previous crash check the obvious

Quick Reply: Newbie here - help wanted! Headrests not working.