AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   OK, lets get serious; where do I find a chip for my '06 A8L? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/ok-lets-get-serious%3B-where-do-i-find-chip-my-06-a8l-42164/)

996GT3RSRRacer 09-24-2006 11:02 PM

OK, lets get serious; where do I find a chip for my '06 A8L?

not going to settle for the output as is...anyone have an idea where to research this in the NYC area?

thanks

pturbo 09-26-2006 02:32 AM

RE: OK, lets get serious; where do I find a chip for my '06 A8L?

Chips are much more effective on turbo cars. I would be suspicious of anyone that told you that were going to get you big gains on an NA engine with remapping alone. They will most likely just screw up your car and end up burning up something on your engine. That 8L is about luxury and has the curb weight to prove it. You'll always be able to pull some car lengths on your Suburban, but you will always be a little disappointed if you jump out of an RSR and into the bigboy.

Iceman9100 09-26-2006 01:31 PM

I take it that you did not buy the A8L with the W12 engine. Why dont you go out and get an S8?

996GT3RSRRacer 09-29-2006 01:48 AM

The new 8L was available when my wife turned her car in....we picked it up spontaneously and really love it.....what I really have my eye on is the RS4 but I have a new 997 GT3 on order (number two on list at my dealer) but I would like to take the RS4 out for a nice beating and see if it has any chance of swaying me from the GT3

I really like the S8 and the W12 but we are going to have to wait until this new lease is over.

AWDaholic 09-29-2006 02:02 PM

You might wanna lurk around teh RS section for a while: https://www.audiforums.com/forumid_231/tt.htm
See what those folks hav to say about their experiences, good and bad.

996GT3RSRRacer 09-29-2006 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: pturbo

Chips are much more effective on turbo cars. I would be suspicious of anyone that told you that were going to get you big gains on an NA engine with remapping alone. They will most likely just screw up your car and end up burning up something on your engine. That 8L is about luxury and has the curb weight to prove it. You'll always be able to pull some car lengths on your Suburban, but you will always be a little disappointed if you jump out of an RSR and into the bigboy.
Thanks for the reality check. I should have done a search before posting that inane topic....just gotta remember its the wife's car and even though I love to drive it; it is what it is and it ain't gonna be no race car anytime soon;)

just going to have to get my jolly's out of the RSR at my next race:D

pturbo 10-05-2006 01:37 AM

That's quite a car collection you have there - and a new GT3 on the way. That's gotta be exciting. No wonder you think the 8L is slow! :D

Is your 993 clone a '73 body with a 993 engine in it? I'm really trying to picture this car. It sounds like a good time.

996GT3RSRRacer 10-17-2006 01:31 AM

the ' 73 is a purpose built race car with a 993 RSR CF body kit and a 3.8 L 417 hp normally aspirated injected engine with haltech e-11 management....air jacks, nascar cage...the works.....the 996 RSR is a factory RSR with a 525 hp sprint engine. it is a former ALMS car with a sequential shifter and is rediculously fast.....besides the 997 GT3 on order; I just got notification that I will be # 1 on my dealers list for the 997 GT3 RS when is comes out....that car will be a keeper!

looking at the S8 or the W12 down the road... I really love this 8L and am surprised that I could get so much enjoyement out of a sedan.

pturbo 10-17-2006 03:06 AM

ORIGINAL: 996GT3RSRRacer

the ' 73 is a purpose built race car with a 993 RSR CF body kit and a 3.8 L 417 hp normally aspirated injected engine with haltech e-11 management....air jacks, nascar cage...the works.....the 996 RSR is a factory RSR with a 525 hp sprint engine. it is a former ALMS car with a sequential shifter and is rediculously fast.....besides the 997 GT3 on order; I just got notification that I will be # 1 on my dealers list for the 997 GT3 RS when is comes out....that car will be a keeper!

So you must do a lot of track days. Where are you out of? Do you work on your 911s yourself? I've got a '94 3.6 turbo. I'm thinking about putting an EFI kit on it and seriously turning up the power. I've got a bud that is saying that I'll have to take it off if I ever want to sell the car to a collector down the road - so I'm still thinking about it.

Wow! A GT3 and a GT3 RS on order. That is nuts. You are going to have a permanent smile on your face. You have got to put some pics up when they come in.

996GT3RSRRacer 10-19-2006 01:59 AM

NYC area track day junkie and club racer looking to advance to Rolex Grand Am in next year or two....(.way expensive!) I am a driver and have full trackside support and transportation...just arrive and drive.
the 3.6 turbo is a great car and I would consider keeping it stock and buy another engine to drop into it for thrills or just buy a dedicated track car and get some real jollies :D...if you have a trailer, then its a no-brainer, but if your stock 3.6 is in great shape; I would not change it. Now is a great time to by a porsche race car as the season is winding down and some great deals are out there on nice GT3 Cup cars with lots of spares