AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   P1141 and 3 bars hot (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/p1141-3-bars-hot-141327/)

Jackmup 11-03-2009 12:42 PM

P1141 and 3 bars hot

I got my first 4.2 cel today.

P1141- MAF
and it's running 3 bars hot- coolant temp sensor?

I ordered them both, stinks too I have a Temp sensor for the 3.0 Don't know if it's the same but I guess I need a plastic clip anyway.

Jackmup 11-03-2009 11:05 PM

I was able to replace the temp sensor, wasn't that.

I used a piece of a coat hanger to hold in in place because the clip came out in pieces. It worked out pretty good.

MAF will be here tomorrow- hope it corrects this problem.

auditech79 11-03-2009 11:35 PM

Its overheating from a partially closed thermostat, happens a lot on the 4.2L, has nothing to do with the MAF code though.

Jackmup 11-04-2009 08:41 AM

Crap!

It all happened at the same time so I thought it might be due to a lean mixture. The stupid thing is surging like mad.

Here's what really happened,

Engineer; Hey I know! Let's bury the thermostat under every damn last thing on the engine so nobody can find it.

Parts sourcer; I'll do one better and source out a 30K cheapo. Then I'll source out a 31K belt, 32K idler, 33K Water pump, 34K...

Mechanic; And I'll replace them under warranty one at a time!

That's the way it went looking at the previous owners records.

I guess it's time to order up that T/B kit :(

I am just loving life.

auditech79 11-05-2009 07:47 PM

Lifes a bitch.

Da Dark Jedi 11-06-2009 08:16 AM

Interesting... I've been wondering why Audi does that? For the price of these cars you think that the parts (The ones you mentioned) will be good for 70K miles plus.

Jackmup 11-07-2009 03:06 AM

All done took a little over 12 Hrs.
I did the T/B rollers and tensioner
water pump, thermostat, serpentine w/ rollers and tensioner. valve cover gaskets, tensioner gaskets, half moon seals.Maf sensor, coolant sensor, replaced a secondary air hose and a bunch of clamps. Fresh coolant and took it for a burn.

I ordered the kits from Blauparts and the tools from ebay ( el paso tool) they both came overnight, for real.The only thing I did not like about the Blau Kit was they changed the water pump to a Saleri with a plastic impeller. I recommend the el paso tool, they are really on the ball.

The old water pump was a leaker. It lasted 50K and had a forged impeller.
Thermostat lasted 40K

From what I can make out the previous owner paid $3200 for a t/b, tensioner, water pump, thermostat and all at separate times. Mean while each time he went in they jacked him up for something else. Poor fella. Cost me $1000 with the tools and FED-EX over night.

Not so bad and it's nice to get that out of the way. That is until I spyed more control arms that need to be replaced.

Screw it they can wait-I'm broke:(