AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Pretty newbish question (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/pretty-newbish-question-132118/)

tman52 05-19-2009 01:45 AM

Pretty newbish question

Im a high school student in Nebraska. I drive a dodge neon Currently, and I'm trying to weigh all my options. So my question is, is an D2 Audi A8 a bad 2nd car? Reliabilty wise? The nearest Audi dealership is about 250 miles aways so that creates a small problem. Just tell me your thoughts and ideas. For the record. The cars im looking into are: Datsun 510, Nissan 300zx (Z32), Chevy Silverado or Suburban, or keep the neon and buy a project. Price range for a vehical is about 9-10k

auditech79 05-19-2009 07:15 PM

250 miles away from the dealer plus being a high school student don't equal a good canditiate for any A8. Repairs easilly go into the thousands, and maintenace is heavy.
If you want my professional advice i would go for the chevy silverado or a tahoe. Neither of these have timing belts that can break and cause major engine damage, and the most maintenace you will do to these is change the oil, spark plugs, and the occasional ball joint/control arm repair. I use a 99 GMC sierra as my daily driver and i keep the A4 in the garage for the weekends because the damn parts for it cost so much... Just my 02 cents.

Stay away from the 300ZX, way too fucking hard to work on, and the cost of something going wrong could well rival an S4's price tag in repairs. The Datsun 510, is more of a weekend toy, not very comfortable for driving every day..

tman52 05-19-2009 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79 (Post 1087390)
250 miles away from the dealer plus being a high school student don't equal a good canditiate for any A8. Repairs easilly go into the thousands, and maintenace is heavy.
If you want my professional advice i would go for the chevy silverado or a tahoe. Neither of these have timing belts that can break and cause major engine damage, and the most maintenace you will do to these is change the oil, spark plugs, and the occasional ball joint/control arm repair. I use a 99 GMC sierra as my daily driver and i keep the A4 in the garage for the weekends because the damn parts for it cost so much... Just my 02 cents.

Stay away from the 300ZX, way too fucking hard to work on, and the cost of something going wrong could well rival an S4's price tag in repairs. The Datsun 510, is more of a weekend toy, not very comfortable for driving every day..

Thats definatly the honest and helpful answer I was hoping for. With the reading I've done, I wasn't ever able to get a solid answer to this question, so thanks. As for the truck. Ya its definatly the most reliable. My Dads has been to the shop for a radiator cap that was leaking. Never anything else and it has 120k on the ODO.

auditech79 05-19-2009 09:13 PM

Not much that CAN go wrong with a truck. The only thing i had to replace is my fuel pump, i have 110,000 on my ODO. The pump only cost me $40 to boot. :)

tman52 05-19-2009 11:31 PM

Yep the truck has gone through about 7k in body repairs though. (family driving curse, I have it too :( )